Tuesday, November 11, 2008

What's your favorite movie?

Peterman's Eye started this last week, by telling the story of the play, later movie Harvey. I've enjoyed this movie since I was a child, and know it by heart. Isn't that sick?
Which got me to thinking, what's my favorite movie? How does one chose?

There are a lot of old movies that I am more accustomed to seeing on broadcast TV, rather than on DVD or cable. Perhaps I had them on VHS or they just appear in my memory on TV. You have them rummaging around your anxiety closet too.
Ever see a movie that you think you know because you have seen it on broadcast, and then see the original sometime later. It's really disconcerting.
In the past week, since I have had a free evening or two I have caught bits of Blazing Saddles, The Blue Brothers and Young Frankenstein. None of which were the movies I remember.

Favorite, movies change depending upon mood, season or company. Some are forever on the list, some are fluid. This summer I has hooked on A Good Year, but I am hoping that passes soon.
I'll share several of mine if you'll share several of yours. TV movies don't count. Fair?

All time top 3

Lawrence of Arabia Makes Mrs. T's skin crawl. All I have to do is Acaba and she is out the door. I remember seeing this the weekend it was first released, I became a T.E. Lawrence fan immediately. His real story is far more interesting than the movie.

Most of the Fred and Gingers. The best part of these was Edward Everett Horton. Best remembered via the Rocky and Bullwinkle show. Chose your favorite, I am not picky.
Casablanca: The ending is still a surprise to me every time I see it.
Holiday Movies
A Christmas Story, of course. Poor Schwartz.
Love Affair/ An Affair to Remember Deep down I hate this schmaltzy mess, but every Christmas Eve Eve two local tv stations coordinate their schedules to run these two flix simultaneously, which is really swarmy. For those too young to remember, Love Affair was the original. AATR is a line by line remake with more famous actors. Favorite line" if you can call that painting I can call this walking"

Tomorrow I'll have a different list. I am hooked on old movies. The Topper series, Charlie Chan, a lot of the Cary Grant, before he became CG stuff., David Niven, Terry Thomas the list is endless.
Ps: The original commeration of Remembrence Day was November 11 at 11 am. Thank a vet.
Toad

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you'd like to "de-construct" your interest in Fred & Ginger movies (which I share)I recommend you read the new biography on Astaire by Joseph Epstein (part of a new American Icon series)... Highly recommended -- a wonderful insight into a one of a kind artist (and possible geninus!)

Toad said...

I have accepted your challenge and have ordered from the local library. Should have it in a couple of days. Thank you.

Mrs. Blandings said...

The Graduate. But it's simply impossible to pick one, and the rest are all 1940's: The Thin Man series, of which Myrna Loy's character is my patron saint of wives, Philadelphia Story, Holiday Inn (and, yes, most of the Christmas movies, though White Christmas falls a little short for me) and everything Hitchcock (not 40's obviously.) And, shamefully, You've Got Mail.

Giuseppe said...

Fred and Ginger, agreed.
Christmas Story, agreed. (my brother and I know that one by heart)

Ever seen "Once Upon a Time in the West"? 3 hours long and only twenty minutes of dialogue, the penultimate western. Plus, the only woman in the movie is Claudia Cardinale (yikes!)

Or what about "The 10th Victim", starring Marcello Mastroianni and Ursula Andress (unspeakably hot!)

Or if you're a Francophile, there's always the classic "A Man and a Woman". That movie, incidentally, has the greatest soundtrack l.p. I've ever heard.

Toad said...

Giuseppe, you're too young. The notion of best movie soundtracks is interesting. You wanna do it or shall I?

Mom on the Run said...

I love "The Quiet Man", the most recent "Pride and Prejudice", "While You Were Sleeping", "French Kiss", "Four Weddings and a Funeral" and "Notting Hill" (yeah, I like Hugh just a little too much).

EatPlayLove said...

A Bronx Tale is tied with Shakespeare in Love. Both brilliant.

northsidefour said...

Breakfast at Tiffany's, When Harry Met Sally, Mary Poppins, Barefoot in the Park, An Affair to Remember, The Philadelphia Story...I need to carve out some time to watch movies.

Teacats said...

Favorite movies --both old and new (but with that wonder "old movie" feel) You'll see many films of Cary Grant -- have you read the recent book about his style and clothing? Its wonderful!

The Thin Man series; The Bishops Wife; The Philadelphia Story; White Christmas; Holiday Inn; Scrooge/A Christmas Carol (1951 - Alastair Sims); I Married A Witch; Topper; The Scarlet Pimpernel (with Leslie Howard); The Scarlet Pimpernel (Jane Seymour); The Scarlet Pimpernel (TV series) with Richard E. Grant; A Clandestine Marriage (1999 with Nigel Hawthorne); The Enchanted Cottage (1945); The Ghost & Mrs. Muir (1947); Mrs. Miniver; The Adventures of Robin Hood (Errol Flynn); Dracula (1958); Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House; Arsenic and Old Lace; To Catch a Thief; She Done Him Wrong; Cold Comfort Farm.

Just to name a few! LOL!

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

Emma Ladoux said...

esspThanks to Mrs. Blandings for introducing us to you and your blog. I've enjoyed reading past posts, to catch up on the history.

Favorite movies.....The English Patient, Out of Africa, Gone With the Wind, The Eye of the Needle, Shining Through.

Toad said...

I'd forgotten Out of Africa. The clothes were fabulous.