Sunday, November 23, 2008

RX

I tend to exit colds by becoming ravished, and since this is not a cooking program, this may be one of only two recipes you will ever see here. In fact I know my way around a kitchen pretty well. I may not be a really good eater, but I can cook up a storm.

This is the a recipe for one of my favorite pies which I adapted from one publish in the NYT several years ago.I believe it is trademarked under the name Derby Pie. Suitable copies are known as Dixie Pies.

For the uninitiated it is a pecan pie with chocolate chips. Best served slightly warm, late Thanksgiving night with an Irish Coffee or an Irish Creme and a cup of strong coffee.
The pie itself is so sweet as to make your teeth ache. Enjoy in moderation.

FANNIE LOU'S THOROUGHBRED
(ALMOST DERBY) PIE


1 unbaked 9 inch pie crust
4 tablespoons butter, melted
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
3/4 cup chopped walnuts (use pecans if you're a purist)
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place crust on pie plate and prick bottom with a fork. Cover lightly with a sheet of foil. Bake for 10 minutes then remove foil and continue to cook another 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl combine the butter, eggs and vanilla extract. Add the brown sugar and flour and mix thoroughly. Using a rubber spatula fold in the nuts and chocolate chips.
3. Pour batter into the crust. Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.

I am back to health, and thank all for their well wishes.

Toad

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This pie of yours, Toad, will be the third type of pie on our holiday table, Thursday - along with pumpkin and pear tart.
Per your endorsement, I may have to make two.
This looks DIVINE !

WI reader

~Tessa~Scoffs said...

Love Derby Pie. Had it last Derby Day whilst visiting Louisville. But did anyone offer me a bourbon? NO!