Monday, November 17, 2008

Favorite soundtrack?

Our friend Giuseppe, at an Affordable Wardrobe ttp://anaffordablewardrobe.blogspot.com/ has challenged us to name our favorite movie soundtrack.

Since this is not a knife fight, and if Giuseppe is amenable I propose several rules. Feel free to violate them at your leisure, although they will earn no points.

Rule 1: Musicals are off limits. Absolutely no, Oklahoma. Was FM a musical? A Hard Days Night?
Rule 2: Concert films are out, except perhaps Cream at the Albert Hall. Woodstock although not really a concert, may not make the cut, the jury is out.

Rule 3: Although no one holds them in higher esteem than I, no biographies. No Night and Day, no Benny Goodman story.

Leading off today's discussion is Giuseppe, with his nomination of "A Man and a Woman"

My response to G was that he was too young. Take all challenges seriously. I'll offer my suggestion up at the end.

Toad

9 comments:

Mom on the Run said...

Although in most instances I really don't like country music, I do really like the soundtrack to Urban Cowboy.

I can only watch the movie itself for a short time because the white trashiness starts to make me feel a little nauseous.

Capegirl said...

The Departed soundtrack is my favorite-all that bad boy feeling.

Renovation Therapy said...

No musicals? That's rough. I'd want to say "Hair" or "Jesus Christ Superstar" if they were allowed.

Hmm. If the category were "within the last 10 years" I'd go with Aimee Mann's "Magnolia" or "Love Actually".

Soundtrack, of all time? Ouch. My brain hurts from trying to make a decision.

Anonymous said...

The Clueless soundtrack

Giuseppe said...

"Une Homme et Une Femme"

I can't say I exactly remember when i made the comment that started this whole thing, but I'm sticking to my guns. That record is great, as is the movie.

"C'era Una Volta il West" (once upon a time in the west) is a real close runner up, but it's spooky.

"A man and a Woman" is something you can listen to over a candlelit dinner of leg of lamb and red wine on Valentines Day.

"Once Upon a Time in the West" frightens the cats (not joking)

Teacats said...

Queen's soundtrack to "Highlander" and "Flash Gordon" -- both brillant! Soundtrack to Emma; soundtrack for Robin Hood with Kevin Costner (but the far far better actor was Alan Rickman as the Sheriff) Love the soundtrack to the Holiday -- by Hans Zimmer -- but the actual CD does NOT contain the fun material featured in the movie too. Bad form. Soundtrack to Lord of the Rings trilogy. Soundtrack to Harry Potter. Ditto Star Wars. And to the TV show "Supernatural"

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

Anonymous said...

Ennio Morricone has written many soundtracks, but Deborah's theme from "Once Upon A Time In America" is haunting, a great film directed by Sergio Leone. He also wrote the soundtrack for "The Mission", not a great movie, but great music. He did all the music for the Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns, also directed by Sergio Leone.

Toad said...

Thi is a hard one to call, especially in a benedryl infested fog. My personal favoites for pure mood, and style may include Star Wars or the Godfather.

Forgetting the rules, perhaps Top Hat with F&G.

This is harder than it looks.

Renovation Therapy said...

...and Garden State when I'm feeling sad and very self-important...

Teacats mentioned Highlander...God I love that movie and Queen...