Saturday, March 28, 2009

Love at first sight?

Do you believe in love at first sight?

Allow me to share a story. When Katy was little, we lived next door to Rex and Sallie, a couple a few years older than we. Sallie went to University of Missouri. Rex was a football player at Arizona State. During Sallie's sophomore year, ASU played at MU. Sallie got one look at Rex on the sidelines, said that he was the one, transferred to ASU in January, looked him up, let him know he was the one, ended up marrying the lad, and they had 5 years of wedded bliss.

Around year 6 things turned south. Rex finished graduate school, and got a fabulous job offer in Saudi Arabia. Sallie was Jewish, and wasn't inclined to go. I still see her around periodically.

I fell head over heels the first time I saw Mrs. T. That was 13 years ago, and have never looked back. Boys and girls it's out there. You need to be open to the possibility.

Toad.

4 comments:

Martha said...

Toad -- husband Jim and I had one date, then the second night he proposed and I accepted and we were married a month later.

That will be 40 years ago this fall.

Do I believe in love at first sight?

Of course!

Toad said...

That is the coolest thing I have ever heard. Congratulations to yoiu both.

Anonymous said...

Only the second day to your blog but your postings struck a chord - maybe it's that you seem to be of a similar vintage. Nevertheless, on point, my husband of 17 yrs. called his parents after our first date to tell them he was going to get married to me. They had never heard my name before so they told him that if he still felt the same after 6 months, it was OK by them. Exactly 6 months later were were engaged. So, yes, it can happen and oddly, I'm a strong believer in going with ones gut/heart and not over analyze everything in life. Thank for all the mental stirrings.

Toad said...

Welcome Anon: I'm a believer. Yours and many other stories like it lighten an otherwise dreary day. Stop in often.