Monday, March 9, 2009

Didn't you hope this was true of you?

I came across this story in my travels recently, and thought it may strick a chord or two. Ever wonder who those people in your family are?




Switched at Birth - Man Says He's Lucky to Have Two Mothers
by Bethany Sanders Mar 6th 2009 5:00PM
Categories: In the news, Weird but true


As a child, Fred George never fit in. His Lebanese family was a dark-haired, outgoing bunch, while he was a shy blond. Across town, another boy, Jim Churchman -- the only brunette in his fair Scottish family -- felt the same way."People teased me when I was younger," says George. "They said: 'You're a Churchman' ... but I didn't want to know." What was suspicion became truth. At the age of 57, long after George had moved to the U.S., the two men finally had a DNA test and discovered they'd been switched at birth. Born just two hours apart on Christmas Eve in 1946 in Dunedin, New Zealand, they'd been placed in the wrong bassinets at the hospital.This week George flew back to New Zealand to surprise the mother who never had a chance to raise him, Helen Churchman, on her 82nd birthday. "I feel I've two families," George said. "And I've been so lucky to have had two mothers." There's also a big blow-out planned for the reunion of the two changelings.



From ParentDish


Toad

3 comments:

Sartre said...

Reminds me of the old Dick van Dyke Show episode!

Giuseppe said...

I wonder if my blond, blue-eyed, hearty young boy...no, wait, the wife's got Polish blood...whew!

ms. mindless said...

that's crazy!