Saturday, January 10, 2009

Too much?



Gang, I ask semi-seriously, is this too much?

As a fat man, I do not especially care for the vast expanse of shirt which shows beneath an open sport coat. So I make some effort to camouflage it by wearing a vest or sweater vest under a coat. I find the change of texture or color a workable stylistic tic. So picture this sweater under a corduroy or brown tweed sport coat.


In the first photo, Ralph copied the young Prince's sweater then cut the arms off.

While I am half a foot taller, 100 pounds heavier and 30 years older than the lad in the picture, I wonder would it work? Would you encourage such a choice for wear around your castle? The auction ends tomorrow. Comments welcome, I can take it.

Toad

10 comments:

Mossback Meadow said...

Being heavy is no excuse for not dressing smart. I love fair isle, and I vote Go For It!

Rechelle said...

Fear not. No one will notice you. They will only notice your beautiful sweater.

Legallyblondemel said...

Hmm . . . I do fancy that vest. However, there is that general fashion rule about horizontal stripes (which visually expand) if one is self-conscious about weight. As with everything, so long as you feel great in it (cue the fuzzy Oprah music), you'll look dapper.

David said...

It's handsome, would be great under a coat. Once I turned 40 I found the only person I care about pleasing is myself, so I say if you like it, place your bid. Good luck!

Giuseppe said...

Do it!

Wear it for duck hunitg with a Barbour and some rubber boots.

It's a great sweater.

Giuseppe said...

I menat "Duck hunting"

one of these days I'm gonna have to learb to type with more that two fingers.

Anonymous said...

I really like it.
In fact dig it.
And YOU can definitely wear it - NOT everyone can.

This vest is your kind of thread, Toad.

My bottom line for clothing choices & opinions of others choices is whether once dressed, if it looks as though it was a real effort or appears they're trying too hard, then it's blatantly wrong and we all know/see it.

Seems you have an effortless verve, liveliness and classic vitality to your taste and personality - this fair aisle vest will only be complimented by that further.

I predict a shower of ooohs/aaahs once you pair it with some old friends like weathered corduroy, oxford cloth and well broken leather boots..........
OR neat khaki & shined loafers....
Oh, the possibilities! !

My ultimate vision is with fabulous embroidered cords, a denim shirt and blazer.

WI fan

Anonymous said...

Not a fan of the Fair Isle sweater, but that's just my opinion.

You might want to see what kind of chaos, sartorial and otherwise, this sweater inspired over on Wasp101.

Dickie said...

So Toad, what's the verdict? Did you buy it?

Toad said...

I did not win this one, but one very similiar. I'll post pix when we return.