Thursday, January 29, 2009

Observations of a Mail Geek


I just read today that the Postal Service may consider cutting back from six day a week mail delivery in an effort to cut their multi-billion dollar deficit. According to a study, this tactic could save the Postal Service anywhere from $1.9 billion to $3.5 billion. I am a complete mail geek. I love when the mailman comes. I probably check the mailbox 2 or 3 times a day before he comes to see if maybe he came and I missed him and I get cranky when he comes late. The funny thing about my mail obsession is that I don’t’ get a lot of fun mail. Like most of you, I primarily get bills, junk and magazines. I was kind of upset when I heard the Postal Service may be cutting back to 5 day delivery but the more I think about it, it sounds like a solid solution. There are other delivery options is something absolutely must get delivered on a certain day. Most businesses are closed on Saturday so it doesn’t seem to out of the question for the Postal Service to want the same thing. If it saves some money and helps reduce a debt then it probably is not a bad plan. This is by no means a done deal yet. Congress still needs to review and take a vote. In the mean time, I will continue my mail obsession and be happy that I get to stalk the mail carrier 6 days a week for my junk mail and catalogs.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once upon a time the post office delivered twice per day. Sounds like your idea of heaven

MCC said...

Katy, thanks for your posts...they are great! I have always felt the exact same as you about my mailbox visits, and I think it is just the unknown. We never know exactly what is going to be there whereas in the other avenues of our lives we kinda have an idea. Anyway, I would love to share with you a writing I found in 1979 in a small Hallmark book.

VISITING THE MAILBOX...

A trip to the mailbox fills me with a pleasant prickle of aniticipation. What will be there? Maybe I've won a raffle or the bank has discovered alarge error in my favor! Even if these dreams don't come true (and they haven't so far), there always seems to be something intriguing in the mailbox: a newspaper telling us what's happening in the neighborhood, a brochure from the community college, or a letter form our congressman informing us how he's voted. Even junk mail can be interesting if it's colorful enough. Booklets describing the wonders of a boat we can build in our own living room or pamphlets filled with ads for encyclopedias may not tempt me much. But they' re often amusing, informative and thought provoking.

Of course, the very best mail is the letters and notes we get from relatives and friends, postcards from people on vacation and cards when we're celebrating a birthday or a holiday.

You might argue that I'm forgetting the bills, They aren't much fun, it's true. But we do know they are coming, so there's usually no unpleasant surprise. And mnay bills these days carry along ads or cheery little newsletters that at least ry to soften the blow.

All things consdiered, the mailbox is a little daily treasure-house within our reach. And what a cheery place to visit. Hallmark. THIS MORNING I HELD A ROSE.1977


Katy, I realize a lot of these events have changed but still going to the mailbox is a special trip. Again, thanks for your writings.

Laura Henderson said...

I have to agree. Saturday delivery is "nice but not necessary" and in this day and age of electronic communication, they may even consider cutting out a day in the middle of the week as well. I'm a mail junkie too, and love my Netflix, but this is just one (very minor) thing we can chalk up to Obama's call for sacrifice to get everything back on track.

Katy McIntyre said...

MCC - thanks for sharing the writing from your Hallmark book! I love it. I have saved this and plan on sharing with others.