Monday, January 26, 2009

Happy New Year


Today is the Chinese New Year. It is the year of the Ox. The Chinese New Year is often referred to as the Spring Festival and is celebrated after the fall harvest but before the spring planting season. The date always changes and is dependent on the Chinese calendar which is a combined solar/lunar calendar. I’d like to say that I know this because I’m that culturally in tune with other customs but in all reality I stumbled upon it while searching the web earlier today.

I am not sure what the traditions are for this holiday. If it’s anything like the New Year that I recently celebrated with good friends, it starts by over indulging with fine food and libations and ends with spending a day in bed cursing the headache that has plagued me by my own hand. Something tells me however that the Chinese are smarter than I am. Regardless of what the traditions may entail, Happy Chinese New Year to all. May it be prosperous and filled with hope.

1 comment:

Gladys said...

So I guess we need to go to the Chinese Resturant and eat duck with the head still on it and have them sing "Fa-rah-rah-rah"?