Friday, January 9, 2009

Book Report Day!!!!!

This is not only a test, but further proof that history is written by the winners.


Think back to your American or World History classes. Ignore the Ericson family, who beat Columbus by about 500 years.

Columbus arrived in the new world in 1492, never once setting foot on North or South America. The English settled near Jamestown in May 1607 and were surprisingly met by English speaking natives. Brits hit Plymouth Rock in 1620. What happened in the Americas in the ensuing 100+ years between Columbus and Plymouth Rock? Were the Americas ignored until a Pilgrim said let's find someone to persecute, just as we have been persecuted?

No indeed, and give yourself one point for every time that Columbus returned, if you remember that he returned and 2 points if you know how many times he returned.


This is where the names you heard in History class come into play, but you have no idea who they are or what they did. De Leon, Cortes, Coronado any of this ringing a bell?

These are the Spanish conquistadors who either alone, in Cortes's case or with large parties in Coronado's were the first Europeans to explore what is now the US.

Cortes, virtually alone, left what is now Sarasota, Florida in 1528 and spent 8 years exploring most of the south through Ga, SC over hill and dale through Mississippi and La, across Texas and across Mexico to the Pacific.

Coronado and his party explored much of present day New Mexico, Arizona, Texas , Oklahoma and Kansas in 1540. Explored the Grand Canyon in 1541, and returned to Mexico in 1542.

The first English explorations didn't begin until 1584.


I have been reading A Voyage Long and Strange, rediscovering the new world by Tony Horwitz. I found it on Book TV, and it's one of those books that make ya say wow, I didn't know that. When I think of Spanish Exploration, my mind immediately jumps to Latin and South America. It's hard for me to put Wichita Kansas and conquistadors in the same thought, but so it is.

A great read, especially if you know as little of the American west as I do.

Have a great weekend.

Toad

5 comments:

Turling said...

Fascinating. I shall have to add that book to my never-getting-shorter list of books to read. Also, I did know Columbus returned, and I believe it was twice more for a total of three. How did I do?

Toad said...

4 points for Turling

Gladys said...

Wow now I have to add that to my Amazon Wish list. I think it's about 14 pages long.

I can not wrap my brain around Conquestidors and Kansas. That just sounds wrong. It is hard for me to look at early American History and the rest of the world and understand all that was going on. All of my history teachers had love affairs with the early Native American tribes and we never got past the Caddo's.

Toad said...

They were guided to Kansas by a local Arizona boy, who wanted Coronado and boys far from his house. Cost him his life eventually, but the stories of the Spanish finding their way through the tall grass praries are astounding.

~Tessa~Scoffs said...

I know movies don't necessarily represent real history (from anybody's standpoint) but I remember a scene from "Dances with Wolves" in which the chief elders show the Kevin Costner character a conquistador's helmet.