Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Dem Bones?

Do you read Will Boehlke's A Suitable Wardrobe? I read it much as I do Town and Country, more aspirational than anything, but it is a great daily read.

Last week, Will had a piece on boning shoes. Once upon a time, the outer portion of men's shoes were polished suede, meticulously rubbed with deer bones to give the perfect finish. Today riding boots are about the sole application for boning.

The post got me wondering just where would one pick up a supply of bones for shoe polishing. I asked my friends at Cobblestone, the local Alden source, and got one of those looks. It dawned on me that perhaps if you had to ask...



Where I went wrong was asking people.



Place your order with a 10 pound Shih Tzu and she'll return with the goods.

Toad

5 comments:

Main Line Sportsman said...

I too like his posts....the main definition of "boning"I have heard has naught to do with shoes...perhaps that explains the puzzled looks at the shoe store...

Rob Boddice said...

I thought he said it should be deer bone, in which case you might place your order with dear M.L. Sportsman, above.

I am also a fan of Will's, but I have neither his sartorial patience, nor his budget.
VB

James said...

That is a great friend you have there. My Scottie would never share like that.

house things said...

Is that an azalea-fed deer bone? I hear those are the best.

DocP said...

If that was actually a semi-serious question, Will sells them from his online shop.

http://store.dynend.com/shoes.aspx


If it was meant in jest - cute dog!