Saturday, November 6, 2010

Moore's Law- in your lifetime



Intel co-founder Gordon prophesized in 1965 that the number of transistors placed on an integrated circuit would double approximately every two years. Time has proven him right. Computer processor speed, memory, pixel capability all are strongly linked to Moore's Law.

When this ad was run, the wrist radio, now cell phone, was the provenance of Dick Tracy cartoons, now along with cell phones we all have the ubiquitous digital toys few imagined not many years ago.



The hard drive ad photo from Uneasy Silence made me smile. It's not a joke, I sold lots of these drives in my day. Not 20 minutes before reading the post, I purchased a 4 gigabyte thumb drive for around $5, a savings of almost $1,359,195 over circa 1977 pricing.

Toad

7 comments:

Shelley said...

Even better memory stick design is where the cover is integral and can't get lost - the only kind I'll have now.

David V said...

I keep thinking I should get one. But then realize I really have no use for it.

Karena said...

Toad do tell, where did you get that for $5 I need to store my millions (it seems like) of images on a drive!

Come and enter my new Giveaway....I know you will love it!!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Toad said...

$3.85 at amazon

NCJack said...

Toad, you may recall when "carphones" for the masses made their debut, followed by the "bagphone". VERY "VIP, look at me" for the 8 months or so before cell phones hit the market.

Toad said...

we still have our bagphone around here somewhere

David V said...

I think I have a CB radio around here, someplace.