Timely updates, fun facts, ponderings and amusements.
1. Student Debt: According to a recent news report issued by the Hartford Courant , for the first time ever, the total amount owed for school loans in the US exceeded that of credit card debt. Is your degree worth it?
2. Gossip Girl notwithstanding, did you see the NY magazine story highlighting how a group of Columbia University RA's are paying hard, cold, cash to students willing to actually speak to other students?
3. The Turducken of Desserts? Thanksgiving is on its way, and several of your offspring will risk life and limb attempting to deep fry their bird. To make certain they do it at their house, not yours, bribe them by promising to bring dessert.
To stay in the true spirit of the feast offer to bring Cherpumple, the turducken of desserts. Cherumple is a 3 layer cake (yellow, spice, white) with a pie baked in each layer (cherry, pumpkin, apple). Recipes are plentiful, look around, I won't help.
4. Apple 1 for sale: Wondering what to get the tech geek in your life for the holidays? A true believer would be interested in the Apple 1 heading to auction at Christies London, November 23. Estimates are north of the 100,000 GBP range.
5. Could this happen where you live? In the south west Chinese city of Changsha, workers constructed a 15 story hotel, built to withstand a magnitude 9 earthquake in 6 days. The story here. No word on the quality of the drywall.