Friday, January 14, 2011

Wikipedia


Of all the posts lately of the "can you believe its been that long ago" sort, this takes my cake.

Tomorrow is Wikipedia's 10th birthday.

I'm uncertain how to take that. Wiki seems to have been around forever, yet it sprung up overnight.

As will the "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy", Wiki has "supplanted all comers as the standard repository of all knowledge and wisdom, for though it has many ommissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least widely inaccurate" it is easy to use, albeit without a Don't Panic notice.

Like Google, Wiki usually has an answer to any querry. Unlike Google, it's generally best taken with a grain of salt.

Happy birthday Wiki, may you improve with age.

Toad

Happy Birthday also, to Lou of The Archers at The Larches.

6 comments:

ADG said...

I love wikipedia

JMW said...

I heard an interview on NPR the other day with the founder of Wikipedia. Cant' believe it's been around for 10 years already!

Divine Theatre said...

What good is the source if it cannot be trusted, I ask you? I generally pass Wikipedia by in favor of more trustworthy sources...like a Magic 8 Ball!

Suburban Princess said...

I saw the founder on The Daily Show the other night and he said they will change something that isnt true...within minutes. He said they have people who do just that 24/7.

Anonymous said...

I've lately noticed how my general Google queries will, 9-times-out-of-10, return Wikipedia's take as the FIRST hit on the return page. Curious how that works. Prior [lucrative] arrangement between Wiki and Google?

Old School said...

This may be of interest:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/12/AR2011011205579_pf.html