Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Toad and the Turtle



I like turtlenecks. Especially black ones, so when Number 1 son asked what I wanted for Christmas I said a black turtleneck. Unless you are a Steve (Jobs or McQueen) every man needs at least one in his closet.

Black turtlenecks exude a certain debonair insolence to mere mortals, an undeserved sophistication. A way with words, and silences.



What I really meant, and I knew it when I told him was, I like the idea of turtlenecks more than the execution. As much as I like the look, even on me, the neck always gags, and before long I've stretched it until I look even more like a potato sack.

So I give them up. So much for the slimming power of black.

Several years on I'm certain I need a black turtleneck, and the cycle renews.




Except this time the shirt fit. First time, out of the box, brand new. Still I look like a svelte sack of spuds, but now I don't care. One of Ralph's better numbers. I feel sophisticated. Adult.

Many thanks to #1 and family, you've hit a home run.

Toad

15 comments:

Karena said...

Toad looking just great! I love turtlenecks, always have!

Happy New Years!

Xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

heavy tweed jacket said...

Looks great with the jacket and specs. Way better than Samuel. Grand Slam, I'd say.

Anonymous said...

Wow wow and more wow! No spuds here, Luv. You be givin' the ADG a run for it in that rig. Very handsome!

James said...

Very good look.

David V said...

You look ready for the Ladies Club book signing.

That's a good thing!

I always have gone for the Ilyia Kuriakin look, myself.

Suburban Princess said...

Looks great!

Hubby has the same problem and a closet full of t-necks that just dont look right. I will look into the RL ones and give them a try...been trying to get him into a black t-neck for as long as I have known him!

ms. mindless said...

the turtleneck looks great! i black tneck is my favorite go-to item when i want to feel slimmer. it works wonders for any man or woman.

SouthernProletariat said...

Very well executed!

Patsy said...

Very handsome!

My husband's cousin says her husband is the only man she knows who actually looks like a turtle while wearing a turtleneck and sadly, she's right.

Main Line Sportsman said...

Every man must have both a cotton and some form of wool black T-Neck...

Anonymous said...

If you go out of the house looking like that, beware of ladies' advances, unwanted of course.

JMW said...

Very dapper!

LPC said...

I think you look quite literary. Daring even. Big thumbs up.

Anonymous said...

The very best look ever for you, darling (of all those personal pix you've posted)...Feel compelled to inquire tho if is this the Black Label cashmere or another? Know its a present (and discretion admired) but any details much appreciated

Anonymous in NY

Toad said...

I don't know whether to blush or hide. I think I'll do both. Many thanks, friends.