Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The House on First Street




Do any of you know Julia Reed? I would love to meet her.

Ms. Reed is a Greenville, Mississippi native who made good in New York as a writer, editor and reporter, for Vogue and Newsweek,decided she wanted to be closer to home so moved to New Orleans some twenty years ago, and became over time one of those indomitable Southern women who knows everyone, gets involved in local affairs and changes the lives of everyone around her

Early this summer I read a book review of "The House on First Street",and was immediately taken by it. I went to the local library, reserved a copy and found I was like number 99 in line. So to keep me occupied I ordered "Queen of the Turtle Derby", also by Ms. Reed, which arrived just as the hurricanes were lined up at New Orleans back door.
Last Monday the local librarian called to let me know it was my turn to read the long awaited "House". I didn't put it down until I finished.
The House on First Street is a love song to New Orleans, its people, its character,and mores. It is also tangently about the Reed household on First Street which they moved into a month before Katrina hit their beloved city.
It will make you laugh, it will make you cry, and in the end you too will fall in love with a great storyteller.

Toad


2 comments:

Eco-Prep said...

This book is on my to-read list. I can't wait to get through the rest of the list so that I can finally pick it up. Just found your blog and I love it! Thank you for such a glorious read!

Toad said...

thank you