Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Retirement Day

It has been 10 years, today or thereabouts, since I removed my shingle and retired from the affairs of the city and to the life of a country gentleman. It was one of the happiest days of my life, and I never looked back.

I believe it was easier for me than for many men because throughout my career I always worked to live, rather than lived to work. Certainly, I cared for my clients, and employers, but by the time my generation came around company loyalty was proven to be a non-existant joke, so I never, ever bought into the the notion that I was, was what I did.

Retirement is so refreshing. Some unexpected surprises: I am the only American over 10 without a cell phone. Don't have an Ipod, don't commute anywhere, and keep much better hours. Stress? A thing of the past.

Retirement is the secret of the fountain of youth.

Get out as soon as you can!
Toad

No comments: