Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Carolina Lanterns

Are any of you familiar with Carolina Lanterns? http://carolinalanterns.com/

Until the Carter era, gas lanterns were pretty much the standard. In front of every suburban yard was a gas lamppost. After the oil embargo, folks either removed them all together, or converted them to electric. Things haven't been the same since.

As it works for me, I just kinda forgot how elegant the gas lamps were until I was last in New Orleans for bonus son 2's Tulane graduation. The Garden District, this was the spring before Katrina, was alight with gas. It brought back many memories.

For about a year, I have been reading Carolina Lanterns catalog, like a pre teen boy reading that magazine with the rabbits, lusting over where we could best utilize the warmth and glow of the perfect gas lamp. My longings were not aided by the knowledge that the gas man came to our house with a big truck several times a year in exchange for a large check, and that post Katrina gas prices were not to be trifled with.

So I have begun a limited search now that oil prices are a bit more reasonable, and Carolina Lanterns now have electric start models you can turn on and off at whim.

I think I want one, don't know where.

Toad

4 comments:

the quarter rat said...

You should look at Bevolo for lanterns. Those you admired in the Garden District were certainly from there.

the quarter rat said...

oops!
http://www.bevolo.com/

Renovation Therapy said...

There are several brownstones in Manhattan that have these - so beautiful, love the flicker.

Anonymous said...

Howdy! Do you know if they make any plugins to assist
with Search Engine Optimization? I'm trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords
but I'm not seeing very good gains. If you know of any please share.
Cheers!

my blog: gay divorce lawyer - http://www.google.ca -