Tuesday, July 13, 2010

You've got one day to get ready



Americans are exempt from knowing much about other countries and cultures. that's why I'm here. To share. We do enjoy a great party though, especially in the middle of our summer.

Mercifully the French, have come to the aid of the party and created La Fete Nationale, celebrated every July 14 to commemorate, the 1790 Fete de la Federation, itself a commemoration of the 1789 storming of the Bastile, beginning the French Revolution.



I share this with you today, to give you time to shop. Put the champaign on ice, air out the sundress, prepare the feast. Remember the French followed our lead towards revolution, now show them how to fete.

Toad

6 comments:

James said...

As much as I enjoy a good fete I could never be ready in one day. My sundress slection alone would take days. I did really enjoy Elsie Parker, thank you.

preppyplayer said...

I am all about la fete.

Patsy said...

The French Library in Boston throws a hell of a Bastille Day fete. Drinking champagne and dancing in the streets, a very sundress worthy affair.

It's also my wedding anniversary.

Liberty, Equality, and Fraternity!

Shelley said...

Apparently the French aren't quite up for it this year?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/7849337/Bastille-Day-garden-party-cancelled-for-first-time.html

Main Line Sportsman said...

We have a big Bastille Day gig in Philly...held at Eastern State Peniteniary...an old castle-like prison on Fairmount ave. A Marie Antoinette impresonator throws Tasykake krimpets to the beer swilling crowd...

Pigtown*Design said...

I will be in NYC tomorrow and hope to eat at a little french-style bistro. i will be wearing my stripey shirt, black linen trousers and ballet flats.