Friday, July 9, 2010

The Blue Redux


I have an inherent fear of tailors. There is always a sense of unmet expectations hanging in the air. It's inescapable. Yet, I go back.

Mostly because I like the guy. Unlike the big boy fantasy land of Saville Row with its hundreds of years of tradition and acres of fabric waiting to be waved under my unsuspecting eyes, my guy is different, he doesn't have the overhead. He is simply a very talented, hardworking immigrant working in his basement.

The way our deal works is I walk in with a piece of cloth, and a photo or sketch of what I want, he gives me the hairy eyeball, tells me to come back in 2 weeks for the first fitting. A week later its complete. Payment is 1/3, 1/3, 1/3. Our only major disagreement is sleeve length, but I think he is coming around, which makes me happy since he does exquisite work.

While waiting this week for the blue linen number, Steven Hitchcock, The Saville Row Tailor had a post about a completely unlined jacket he was making for a client.





It whet my appetite, and set my own expectations a little higher.

So yesterday it came home.

It's in the single button Huntsman style as shown in the top photo. Much to my surprise it didn't fit all that well in the middle. My fault, I'm losing middle inches, and since it will never have a sweater underneath, the result is baggy. Shoulders, length, sleeves, perfect. No harm though, it will be fixed by Monday. At 10 ounces its a tad heavy, rumply not wrinkly, but I knew that going in.







Pockets are deep enough to carry a bottle of wine too.

Toad

11 comments:

Charles said...

You jacket's a beauty. I need a tailor (and children with good jobs). This spring I found an unlined cotton jacket that I thought just might be long enough. After getting home I decided it wasn't.

James said...

Great job by both tailor and the owner.

Suburban Princess said...

Love Love Love!! The silk maps are the perfect touch!

Easy and Elegant Life said...

Brilliant! I'm toying with unconstructed/unlined jackets too. Yours is a beauty. What luck to have found a tailor like that.

SouthernProletariat said...

I love it!

And I am glad to see by the last sentance that you have your priorities in order. ;)

ADG said...

Strong! And I've gotta have something lined or re-lined with an escape map.

Toad said...

Many thanks, even Mrs. T came to like it.

Dumbwit Tellher said...

The map print lining is a terrific touch. Your tailor sounds like a real craftsman and pretty smart too. Every blazer needs a pocket to carry a wine bottle! Have a exquisite weekend Toad \

( : deb

LPC said...

I just adore that map lining. Genius.

Paul said...

I dig the silk map lining! Looks like it will be a comfortable jacket. Good luck.

heavy tweed jacket said...

Slow on the draw here, but that is a wonderful jacket. The escape map idea is brilliant!