Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Odds and Ends


I. Car stuff:

Since I drive a car that is as likely to hurt me while it sits in the garage as while on the road, this falls into a "do as I say, not as I do" category. I have been a car guy most of my life. Mrs. T has just about broken me of it, but occasionally I still get revved up about a car. Also, I have long liked Volvo's, even the wagon we had in the mid '80's.

At the Chicago Auto Show, John Maloney president and CEO of Volvo North America pledged that NO ONE will be seriously injured or killed in a new Volvo by 2020.

When's the last time you heard a car company stick their neck out like that?

II. More Car News

From the Vanity Fair Daily Blog, an interview with Shaquille O'Neal about his first impulse purchase upon entering the NBA.

"Though no angel on the court, the man known as “the Diesel” or “the Big Aristotle” is gentle and amusing off it—and an impulsive shopper, no doubt. I asked him to relate the story of the time he bought three Bentleys on a whim.

“I was playing for the Los Angeles Lakers, and there’s a Rolls-Royce dealership in Beverly Hills. I always used to ride by it,” he began. “But one day I just went in. Mike Tyson was in there buying a couple of Bentleys. I had on some shorts and a tank top and flip-flops, and I said to the salesman, ‘Sir, how much does this one cost?’ He said, ‘Can you afford it, sonny boy?’ I was so upset that I bought three Bentleys right there on the spot.”

He was too tall, however, to fit into their driver’s seat. “A million dollars gone in 10 minutes,” he added, quite disapprovingly."

III. In a odd way this kinda sounds like fun


"Unique opportunity to acquire an entire town, along with the Buford Trading post, an income-producing convenience and fuel store. Included in the auction are 10+/- acres of land, five buildings including a 3 bedroom home, United States post office boxes, plow and three vehicles. There is also a Union Wireless cellular tower with lease, and parking area previously used by an overnight shipping company for nighttime trailer switches."

The seller maintains 1000 people a day hit the Trading Post. The town also comes with its own zip code. Since there are no other residents, the zip is all yours. How cool is that?

Offers near (USD ) $100, 000 can make it yours. It's a shame that you'd probably have to live there full time, since if managed well this might actually pay off.

Toad

2 comments:

Old Polo said...

Been to Buford, Wyoming. You couldn't live there. The wind would blow you away. The snow doesn't melt there. It blows around until it wears out.
Worst car I ever owned was a Volvo P1800. But I do lust for a Bentley.
Loved the post Toad.

Patsy said...

You can have a whole campus for free in Northfield, MA, as long as you offer a Christian education: http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2012/03/14/billionaire_family_offers_mass_campus_for_free/?p1=Well_Local_Links