Sunday, March 18, 2012

jealous?


You will be so jealous.

Friday afternoon there was a knock at the door. Mrs. T answered and yelled to me,"the man is here to ruin your weekend." I'm thinking the sheriff, a process server, but all I can see is a UPS truck and its driver lugging a large box.

Unbeknownst to me, I have long lusted for a rug cleaner to call my very own, but living in a house with hardwood floors I was too shy to express my feelings. My beloved bride however sensed my hidden desire and made certain to shorten my bucket list the day before Amateur Day, and what was forecast to be the first dry, warm, weekend in a month.

Red, as we call my new rug scrubber, is an Oreck XL something or other. It's nimble, easy to use, and works very well, especially if you improvise and add steps 4,5 and 6 which Oreck fails to mention in their manual.

Like a dunce, I worked too hard and made it look too easy straight out of the box. I needlessly raised expectations of my output well beyond what was necessary. Now I'm told if I work just as hard today as yesterday, I'll finish the basement carpeting tomorrow. Tuesday I can begin the upholstery.

Toad

You can borrow it whenever you want, after Wednesday. No, I won't deliver and while I may be well trained in this model I am unlikely to do yours. You would find the price prohibitive.

6 comments:

LLP said...

The beauty of the "Persian" wool rugs is this: To clean them properly you set them outside on a clean surface -- e.g., the pool deck, a cement area you've washed down... You take yard/garden hose, turn the water on high, aim at the carpet, let the water run through the rug for a good while until it is clear, sit the rug up to dry (but not stretch), and when dry return to the house. This is how it has been done for centuries, long before Marco Polo...

Anonymous said...

Oh GP, I know you're right but you're makin me tired, I got 12/15 old ones sittin around on these wood floors, think I'd rather be jealous of Toad's Oreck than have to drag these things out to the driveway and back.

-Flo

Karena said...

Oh well, Toad I was going to hire you, now I am jealous! Ha!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Toad said...

GP that sounds like fun, but I am no more likely to do that than you. I now have a toy.

Patsy said...

My mother's rug merchant told her to turn them right side down in the snow and leave them there for a few hours. She didn't try it.

John D. said...

That was nice carpet Toad! Cleaning it was not that easy, you'll be calling for an expert soon. :-)