Friday, March 23, 2012

The joke is on me

Horizontal stripes are in for Spring

Ghurka trousers

Car guys call it a "ten footer". When expressed as "it's a ten footer", it means that from 10 feet that car doesn't look bad, but as you come closer.... Camilla Parker Rolls is a 10 footer on her off days, so am I.

Sadly, I really love it, it fits perfectly, and like lingerie has a few Toadisms that only I know. I've spent too much time trying to convince myself that no one will notice the direction of the weave. It's enough that I know, and I can't escape that. Maybe if I only wore it at night.

The lining is from an old sari.

I had ordered replacement fabric, but couldn't bring myself to deliver it. The new suit would forever be tarnished by the memory of its other. Better to move on. Before consigning this suit to the island of misfit toys, I felt it deserved an airing. Go ahead and laugh. I did. It's a ten footer.

Toad

13 comments:

Scott Alexander said...

I think it's damn brilliant. I'd love to have a suit like that.

Pink Benny said...

Bravo! You look like a man of style. Wear it with enthusiasm.

Anonymous said...

You know, it really, truly, does not look bad at all. I'd venture even that it looks snappy with its slightly unexpected east-west texture. Why not wear it somewhere inconsequential as a test drive? See how it plays? It's like the suit nodded at convention and then took a more exciting turn. Go with it!

Anonymous said...

Oh grief.

It's not a "joke" and it's not a "ten footer" and it's not a "misfit toy," further, nothing we say will convince you otherwise but worse, even if you do wear it out on a test drive, you'll not wear it with the confidence that a showstopper suit like that requires. That is a gorgeous damn suit on a handsome damn man, the fabric doesn't even read as a directional stripe, it reads as a checked pucker, it is utterly divine, so take it off, hang it in the back of the closet and let's move on to history and gardening.

-Old Faithful

davidsl said...

Looks great to me! I especially like the repurposed sari as the inner lining. Wonderful and unexpected color.

Suburban Princess said...

Listen to Old Faithful.


Have a very happy birthday when it comes! I will send you a birthday wish when I drink my champagne :O)

Toad said...

Many many thanks to all. fortunately in observance of the White Shoe Rule, I am unable to wear this master work for several weeks yet. I do truly love it, but....

I may drag this out for Derby Day to see what reaction it gets. what the suit really needs is time. Time to wear the edges off, and wipe the smug newness away.

This will end up becoming a favorite in my dotage.

Anonymous said...

"see what reaction it gets"

WHO CARES WHAT REACTION IT GETS

Look, I'm leaving now, I need to fill the car with gas but I'm on my way, I'm going to find you and we are going to sit on that front porch in those white rockers cause I don't know how you got to be a grown up without Fundamental #1 [see all caps above].

-Old

Old Polo said...

Step away from convention, go your own direction and be your own man.

Toad said...

This suit is, like me a little off plumb. I adore it. It will see the light of day.

Anonymous said...

Actually from 10 feet, it looks like it fits you very well!

Patsy said...

That is my most favorite suit in all the land!

Christina said...

I like your suit. Is that a wool fabric suit?

Christina @ Grey Windowpane Suits