Monday, May 2, 2011

Yom HaShoah

I wish I wasn't so oblivious to the opportunities which surround me.

I'm not Jewish and have yet to play one on television, but growing up my family was one of few goyim living in our suburban neighborhood. Our neighbors were mostly eastern European Jewish refugees/survivors resettled to the US after the war.

I was a Catholic kid surrounded by orthodox Jews, old before their time, visibly tattooed ... an alien race according to my antisemitic 1950-60's church's teachings.

The stories my neighbors could have told, and I wouldn't have listened. I kick myself now. Today is Holocaust Remembrance Day. A day to remember the stories my neighbors would have told. Those we will never hear.

MOURNER'S KADDISH An English Translation

Glorified and sanctified be God's great name throughout the world which He has created according to His will. May He establish His kingdom in your lifetime and during your days, and within the life of the entire House of Israel, speedily and soon; and say, Amen. May His great name be blessed forever and to all eternity. Blessed and praised, glorified and exalted, extolled and honored, adored and lauded be the name of the Holy One, blessed be He, beyond all the blessings and hymns, praises and consolations that are ever spoken in the world; and say, Amen. May there be abundant peace from heaven, and life, for us and for all Israel; and say, Amen. He who creates peace in His celestial heights, may He create peace for us and for all Israel; and say, Amen.

2 comments:

LPC said...

Lovely. So fitting.

Anonymous said...

A wonderful post.