Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The warm fuzzies

I've mentioned in passing my current fling with photography blogs. I'm more visually than print oriented, although I have zero talent for taking snapshots, and am unlikely to improve. One of the blogs I've come across is All things Photography a Russian site, featuring for the most part, Russian and Eastern European photographers, in Russian and Eastern European settings. Make certain to have Google translate for you.

This is not necessarily a plug for the site, as its a time sink. There are about 100 photos posted per day, and 2 or 3 may not be for family consumption.

That said, I know near to nothing about Russia. From viewing the posts I've gathered the people are beautiful, the landscapes stunning and the photographers are very talented.

This photo, while not artistically meaningful, brought me up sharp.



Click on the photo. Look closely at the background.

God knows, the coal and oil industries have bamboozled Americans for generations about the dangers of nuclear energy, and while my power is provided by a nuclear plant, I am uncertain I would want one in my backyard.

After Chernobyl, I bet these folks had some sleepless nights.

Toad

3 comments:

Shelley said...

25 miles is the key, last I read up on it. After that, just make sure you don't consume contaminated food. It's the latter that did the most damage I understand. We saw some scenes from hell when we took a sleeper train from Prague to Martin, in Slovakia. Ostrava will forever stay in our minds. The Czechs got all the culture in that partnership, the Slovaks got all the dirty industry. Russia is on my list of 'someday I wanna see'.

Suburban Princess said...

In Canada we have nuclear plants very close to homes - I suspect they would have to be hundreds of miles away in order to have no impact should there be an 'event'.

The plant my husband works in is just south of a neighbourhood...in fact we considered buying a house in that neighbourhood and he could've walked to work every day!

Patsy said...

We are just across the harbor from a coal burning power plant built in 1951 and that's scary enough.