Monday, June 21, 2010

The Goldberg Variations

The household wall of family photos is a phase which comes and goes with some regularity. Much like kid's stories, they're fun when it's your kids, but it doesn't travel well. For my money the Goldberg family photo trumps all comers.

It includes all the necessary elements: it's easy, portable, expandable, shrinkable and most important inexpensive. Truly, a gift that keeps on going, and going, and going .

I have tried 15 ways to Sunday to enlarge the photo to make it visible, but it is beyond my skills. Crass as this may be, I ask you to follow the link. You'll ask yourself, "why didn't I think of that?"

http://www.howtobearetronaut.com/2010/06/one-family-30-years/

Happy summer/winter to y'all.
Toad

7 comments:

Shelley said...

When I turned 50 and wondered how I got there, I collected a picture a year from 3 days old to present. There is nothing like the uniformity of this family's pictures, of course, but it still explained to me how I came to look like I do. I made a slide show of it and served it up at the office along with my (v. American) cake & ice cream.

Patsy said...

That's awesome, but a little bittersweet to see how 30 years can be so compressed.

Toad said...

Shelley, can we see it? You should post it some day.

preppyplayer said...

I love seeing the passage of time, although it seems sad too.
I am really loving your header. Seersucker summers, the best!

Town and Country House said...

Brilliant. I have a friend who took a photo of her daughter every single day of her first year of life, and that was rather amazing, too.

sue in mexico mo said...

I love it! I knew a family that had a 4th of July ritual. Everyone would line up in front of the house and then run around the house, re-appearing on the other side. It was all spliced together year after year. Fun to see the children grow and the houses change.

David said...

That's really wonderful.