Monday, June 14, 2010

The goats, part deux


As luck would have it, I've lost the goat battle.

I've tried the pastoral, the earth mother (not recommended), the small batch fromage producer approach. In return, all I got was sass.

Fortunately, shortly after I rose the white flag, a suitable mower appeared on Craigslist. So what if it was 50 miles away?

Mrs. T suggested we give it a looksee. "Do you have any idea what we're looking at?", I inquired. That said, a delivery boy turned up on C-list who delivered faster than I could pick it up myself.

Think sheep would have worked better?



I've mentioned before that the best part of spring around The Park, is that sometimes we get to babysit the newborns. Today was one of those days.

Mother and baby are doing well. It is surprising to me that immediately after birth, mother will leave the fawn wherever she dropped it, take care of her needs and return several hours later, expecting all will be well. All this, while Charlie, our Lion Dog, is chewing found bones, of one of its relatives, in the garage.

As much as the deer set me off, I feel very privileged to be entrusted with one of life's little miracles.

Toad

6 comments:

Kathy said...

My uncle kept a goat years ago. It was the meanest s.o.b., but he did keep the grass down. He scared all of us.

Easy and Elegant Life said...

Good Lord! Fauna? I wouldn't know where to begin.

What you need is a Dixie Chopper. Far too much fun to be considered a chore.

James said...

By God I have it! Paint the goat to look like a fawn, you'll just have to update every so often to simulate aging. Pure genius, right?

Toad said...

E&E, as fun as a Dixie Chopper may be there is something unsettling about racing downhill towards a lake in a zero turn radius machine. Just sayin'

Toad said...

James you have proven once again why you are my hero.

David said...

I really thought the goat cheese argument would be a winner. Dang.