Tuesday, June 8, 2010

A Superior Plan

My favorite line from The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy Trilogy (Douglas Adams) is " in an infinite universe not only are all thing possible, they're likely." This simple sentence explains so much.

Earlier this spring, I found the Iron Horse had cut its last hill. In mourning, I put off cutting the grass until a suitable time had passed, the continuing rain stopped and I purchased another mower.

I wasn't in a hurry. There is something about propelling myself on a tractor, downhill on wet grass towards a lake which brings me up short. This can wait I told myself.

And wait it did.

Soon enough, the grass grew. Add a bit of warmth, a little sunlight, the grass grew higher. Throw in more rain, more heat, you get even higher grass.

Before long, it was so high I had to raise my sights. Instead of a new mower, I would need a tractor. More Manly.

I'm too cheap for that. I continued to hope something would appear on Craigslist. Until then I needed a plan.

How could I get the grass cut, safely, inexpensively and soon, without risking my life and limbs?

GOATS!!!!!!


In this most perfect of all universes did you know there are enterprising souls who will deliver a flock of goats, and a goatherd to your house, so that they can enjoy the day eating your weeds?

The interested may learn more here.

Goats are an incredibly difficult sale in our house. One of us feels that one of us should be more diligent in their mower search. So much for green.

Toad

14 comments:

Martha said...

How interesting --

Rent-A-Goat!!!!

Seems like a good solution to me -- but then I have a husband who, in 40 years, can only count on one hand (and still have a finger or two left) the times he has mowed our yard!!!

I think Rent-A-Goat is a good solution!

JDB said...

A tractor would get your white suit all dirty. I say stick with the goats.

Suburban Princess said...

Tell MrsT how goat's milk and goat's cheese is so gooooood! And good for you!

Now I've got that son 'Old Hiram's Goat' stuck in my head lol!

house things said...

I like the goat solution. But, what would your dogs have to say?

Gail, in northern California said...

And another thing...mowers don't poop.

Still, the goat thing has a certain charm.

David said...

My farming cousins had a few pet goats, they're delightful animals, not so unlike dogs. And SB is right about goat cheese. This sounds to me like a win for everyone.

Toad said...

I'll see where the chreve get's me. I'm not hopeful though.

Charles said...

Looks like the goats are thorough. Can you have the goats delivered 3 times a summer?

LPC said...

Oh, absolutely go for the goats.

Toad said...

Gail that is called fertilizer. Longwing if you want 3 I'll do three. Should we name the goats?

Patsy said...

I was going to ask if they needed names or came with!

ADG said...

LFG says Goats.

Easy and Elegant Life said...

How about lambs? Cute and tasty. It's spring after all.

Shelley said...

Our neighbours seem to keep a cage of two guinea pigs for this purpose and their grass is perfect. Seriously. The cage is moved to a different location each time I see it...