Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Is different better?



Lately, I have been reading a blog, by a young woman who wonders where, how or when the bar hopping, head turning hottie (she's very cute) became the stay at home, kickball with the kids playing mom she is now.

"low me to explain. From conception of their first child, parents discover that their children's health, happiness, and security take up permanent residence in their anxiety closet. I've been doing the parent gig some years now, and things haven't much changed, moved maybe, but merely the scope of the anxiety has changed.

My youngest, is a first response forest fire fighter. This year he is stationed in Idaho. Every summer I have the privilege of worrying about his time in the wild wood. He's selected this dangerous occupation, I tell myself. There room for a lot of great experience with mind boggling catastrophic, keep dad up nights opportunities for failure.

He phoned Saturday night. Dad, we're heading off to Alaska tomorrow. The lower half of the state is on fire, it's going to be fun.

I've been wondering, this being Memorial Day, how many soldier's parents of have had similar conversations with their children? How'd those turn out?

So my friend begs, "tell me it will get better". I can't and won't. All I can say is it's going to get different.

Toad

photo from University of Oregon

7 comments:

Allie and Pattie said...

Oy. Toad, as the mother of 6- 5 of them sons- you and your son will be in my prayers. Yes, it does get different. Right now I have a 16 year old girl and all associated traumas- I can't wait till THIS gets different
xoxo Pattie

James said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
James said...

Toad you are so right. May the good Lord watch over your son always.

Suburban Princess said...

We will be thinking about your son!

My son is 2 and I keep wondering when it gets easier...with his ability to walk and feed himself came the tantrums an 'I do it' *sigh* This is why cocktails come in such pretty colours!

Anonymous said...

It takes some serious courage (and training) to face down a wild fire in the wilderness. I hope he enjoys Alaska and keeps an eye out for large brown bears.

Toad said...

Many thanks to each of you for your kind thoughts and prayers. They are much appreciated.

According to Bunky, fleeing animals is his greatest safety concern.

Anonymous said...

God bless your son, Toad.

I have 3 boys and 2 girls ranging in age from 14 mos to 20yrs. The eldest is a special ops soldier. He's home now for a couple weeks before goes off to fight bad guys again. The anxiety is incredible. What I wouldn't do for a room full of two-yr-olds.