Monday, May 10, 2010

When it rains....



Last Thursday, #1 son and his wife, closed on the purchase of their first house. They have worked very hard, for a very long time to make that happen, and I am incredibly proud of them.

It's refreshing to watch a young couple, imagine, plan and create a new home. The optimism of youth washes away the dusty cynicism which settles on the old. Setting priorities, and the day to day, give and take of decision making, while establishing up a new home is good for families. It strengthens marriages, contributes to earned self esteem, and sets a great example for children. I know they will be very happy in their new digs.

A while back, I wrote about #1's house being robbed. Everything electronic not nailed down found itself a new home. Over time most of the stuff was replaced, but the feeling of being violated in your own home is harder to overcome. That is why it was such a shock to find that the villains returned Friday while everyone was a way, and helped themselves to all the new stuff. Burglars in Topeka aren't as dumb as you'd think.

This may be an important lesson to any of us who are ever burgeled.

The latest break-in has hastened the kids move in date. It's paint brushes of fury time and a visit from the alarm people is upcoming. I'm so glad it's not me, I hate moving.

Toad

7 comments:

Karena said...

You are a great Dad to help out. How sad to hear this, sometimes I just wonder how people can be so heartless!!

Karena

Art by Karena

Shelley said...

Unbelievable! I'm not sure what to learn - do without electronics? I have heard of etching your SS# onto such items, but I've yet to do it. I've been burgled twice, in different homes. The only thing I learned was to live in a better neighbourhood.

ELS said...

Ghastly. Not sure if I'd rather be robbed or move house. Both equally grim. My sympathy to them.

Suburban Princess said...

That's just awful!!!
They need a big mean dog...or at least a recording of one!

James said...

I wish them a happy life in their new home.

Pigtown*Design said...

Ugh. So sorry to hear this. I was robbed right after I moved into my house, and lost my laptop with all of my pix of life abroad. And all of my good jewelry. Having a dog in the house didn't help at all. But they caught the guy after he robbed a bunch of other neighbours - he was a junkie.

preppyplayer said...

Yuck. Steals the joy AND innocence.