Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Vermont Country Store

If you are unfamiliar , The Vermont Country Store is the last refuge for the weird and wonderful.

Looking for a pot holder loom, just like you used in camp? They have it.

Lanz of Salzburg jammies. It's there.

If you remember it, they most likely have it. It's a wonderful place to visit.

The store opened in 1946. Mr. Vrest Orton found the merchandise, his wife, Mrs. Mildred Orton compiled their catalog, did the book work, processed the orders and paid the bills. Mrs. Orton was active in the store until 1978.

The store now managed by their son, and his children mails 30 million catalogs per year.

Mrs. O died May 6 at age 99. Her family's tribute is moving in its affection for a wonderful mother, grandmother and probably in her day a tough boss.

Our condolences to the family.

Toad

9 comments:

James said...

What a great store.I will have to control myself, but an order is definitely in my future.
Thanks once again for a great start to my day.

house things said...

Yes, weird but interesting.

heavy tweed jacket said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
heavy tweed jacket said...

My mother ordered often and I remember thinking, when I was a kid in high school, that the catalog was not very interesting. However, as I got older, I realized what a unique and wonderful company the Vermont Country Store really is. I'm happy that they really haven't changed that much, and that I have changed enough to appreciate this.

Zingiber said...

The extra sharp cheddar they sell through the catalogue is fantastic. My parents used to get me a round every year for Christmas.

Main Line Sportsman said...

My Mom still orders Wilbur Buds chocolate from that catalogue...I always read it when I visit the old homestead.

David V said...

If you remember it but they don't have it tell them. They'll look for it.

Brian said...

They also have great customer service. I bought a charcoal grill to use at tailgates from them, and broke a piece durring assembly. Even though it was my fault they sent me a new grill free of charge when I inquired about where I might be able to order a replacement part. Since then I ordered countless items from them. A GREAT company if I ever saw one.

M.Lane said...

They are a great company. Just the candy they sell is worth reading the catalog!

ML
mlanesepic.blogspot.com