Sunday, May 16, 2010

Lands End


The man in the brown truck arrived Friday delivering my order from Lands End. Oh happy days. Friday being date night I couldn't wait to tuck into my new duds and see how I did. I hate the anxiety which comes when ordering on line, but not as much as I hate doing the real shopping experience.

That said, here is a quick review.

In the olden days I always kept a sweater in the car during the summer. That way I could be gallant if when on a date the restaurant was cold, I could offer a wrap. Now, Mrs. T doesn't get cold, I do. The car found a new sweater.

From the first photo, you can tell I actually ordered the navy, not gray, although I will kick myself if I allow the gray to get away. I love this sweater. It is somewhat heavier than I hoped, which is great for early S/S, bad for middle. It was 60F Friday night and the weight was perfect.
I am a jerk about shirts. They have to be just so, although for an inexpensive play shirt like this I will forgive a lot. I have little to forgive here. I wish it didn't have the breast pocket, but so what. It is sized, like a real shirt, no SML. The tails are long, buttons quality, and includes placket buttons, which is a plus for me.

My sole caution is beware if you have a middle. If you do try the LE custom, or the big. The same shirt is available there and will be made to fit, for not a lot more.



It's a bit much I know, but I like the scarf.

So for date night we went into the big city. The Italian neighborhood has fabulous restaurants on every street corner, except the one with the church. A blind man could sniff and pick a wonderful place. Our date night partners got to chose, and picked the only lemon in the zip code. We enjoyed their company anyway.

Toad

PS: I have since ordered the gray sweater, and the shirt in navy gingham. Happy Fathers day to me.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Sir,
Which model of shirt did you order in gingham? I will look for it in my local Sears store.

Thank you,
Hilton

heavy tweed jacket said...

Stunning. Way to pick 'em. That sweater looks like a great solution for warmer weather when I'd like to give a jacket a rest.

Anonymous said...

Hello Toad,
I enjoy your comments very much. Thanks to your last post I have discovered LE and have emailed an order for three shawl cardigans from LE. I'm quite happy living in Melbourne, but there are many establishments that I have not heard of. (After 'finding' Ben Silver, my savings have nose-dived!!)
All the very best from Downunder,
Cheers,
Ian

K.S.Anthony said...

Well played, old sport.

Martha said...

We always loved to eat on "The Hill" when we went to that Big City -- I didn't know there was a lemon there!

Kim said...

Excellent choices. I love Lands' End.

James said...

Great look. Like you I think a sweater is a great way to fight off a chill.

M.Lane said...

A fine set of choices!

ML
mlanesepic.blogspot.com

Toad said...

Martha there is at least one lemon on "the Hill".

Ian, I haven't looked lately but exchange rates must be very favorable to spend much time at Ben Silver.

Anon: The shirt I selected was:

http://www.landsend.com/pp/PaintbrushDressShirt~191571_59.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::YUI&CM_MERCH=IDX_00001_0000000019

Thank you all.

Karena said...

Love the scarf Toad!! It is so cool right now, I am indeed wearing sweaters!

Giveaway by Beth Cosner Jewelry Designs is up on my site. Come visit!

Karena
Art by Karena

David said...

I love a gingham shirt. I should try one of these, I'm having issues with the length of my usual JCrew shirts.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

You can never go wrong with a tartan scarf.

house things said...

Love your selections. I order a lot from Lands End, and am usually pretty happy with what comes.

Patsy said...

I just ordered a ladies navy gingham shirt from Land's End! I hope we don't wear them to the same place..........

Toad said...

Patsy, I hope we do.

Easy and Elegant Life said...

Hoping that shirt comes in red.... off to see. Thanks.