Saturday, May 19, 2012

T. E. Lawrence -redux

Today is the anniversary of the 1935 death of my life long hero Thomas Edward Lawrence, Lawrence of Arabia. Killed in a motorcycle accident, after a quick jaunt to post a letter accepting an invitation to meet Hitler. In response to Lawrence's death the doctor who treated Lawrence went on to invent crash helmets for motorcyclists.

Unlike the scenes from the movie, Lawrence's funeral was held at St.Nicholas and St. Magnus Church in Moreton, Dorset. He is buried in the churchyard.

His effigy shown in the photo was originally planned for St.Paul's in London, which along with Westminster Abbey, and Salisbury Cathedral refused it. It finally ended up at St. Martin's, a 1000 year old Saxon church in Wareham, Dorset, near Lawrence's home.
BBC Photo
If you haven't yet selected your summer beach read, I recommend Hero, the Life and legend of Lawrence of Arabia, by Michael Korda.

Toad

4 comments:

Martha said...

He was one of my heros too! Did not know that about the crash helmets, however. That's an interesting fact!

Amy G. said...

He is one of those rare people, like Thomas Jefferson, about whom it is difficult to fully comprehend how he did so very much in one lifetime, and was expert in so many things with so many people. Thank you for the Korda recommendation-- I've not yet read that one and am off to look it up.

Anonymous said...

"my life long hero..."

Honestly. I didn't know ANY of this. I'm embarassed to say I saw LofA on a movie date sometime wayyyy back, but I'm sure I was more concerned with my hair or my outfit than with the content of the movie.

Your PBS link and I have become fast friends today, I've clicked everything in sight. And am lusting for more.

Thank you, sir. Just put it on my tuition bill.

-F

yanmaneee said...

nike kd 12
nike huarache
converse outlet
curry shoes
converse outlet
yeezy boost 350 v2
ralph lauren uk
nike shox for women
hermes belts
supreme