Saturday, November 12, 2011

I hate that I love them so

Growing up I never owned a pair of Weejuns. They were too expensive, I was a Thom McCann acolyte. Didn't stop me from wanting them though.

My first job was as a shoe dog in a now long lost haberdashery. Weejuns went from $8 to $10 then $12 in the 2 years I worked there. I purchased my first pair, in oxblood with my first pay check and company discount, and have had a pair ever since.

ADG shouted from the roof tops when he found the blue 75th anniversary edition Weejuns became available, so I bit.

They came out of the box as much black as blue, with a 10 foot shine found only on a cheap paint job on an old jalopy. The finish needed finishing. ADG's method was a tad harsh for my tastes, so I used the modified - rubbing alcohol, followed by leather softener then blue polish- format. I'm well satisfied with the now Scottish blue results, and the blue's natural affinity for pissing people off.

I remember that Weejuns were once available in widths, if so, no longer. Even adjusting my sizing to accommodate a fatter foot, these are a struggle to install, but they feel really good once on. Quality isn't what it was either, but I hate that I love them so.

Toad

15 comments:

Bob said...

I nearly bit the morning of ADG's post on said blue Weejuns. Had I been able to run down my black shell cordovan pair for sizing, I would have ordered the blue babies. Now I am damn happy that I didn't after reading this post. Ordering from J Crew scares the hell out of me anyway. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Toad, enjoy them my good man. It's a shame that Bass had to issue them in this new plasticky finish rather than the old, standard finsih. But, as you said, their quality isn't what it used to be.

James said...

Like you real weejuns were out of my league growing up. As an adult I have always own them. Beside two in Oxblood I have a black and a two tone(black and brown). Yes a love affair to be sure.

Anonymous said...

I don't hate that you love them, but I do hate that they don't look comfortable. Tight. Ouch.

-Flo

Toad said...

Actually they are quite comfortable in a weejun sort of way. If only Cole Haan would reissue some of their earlier models. I'd be there in a heart beat.

LPC said...

Those are shoes worth loving, sir. Sort of a Joan Collins in Dynasty gone Goth blue. Wonderful.

ADG said...

"Joan Collins in Dynasty gone Goth blue." Brilliant.

This little post made my day. Now when are you getting a pair of these Kilim babies that I'm wearing as I pen this?

T said...

Ha! Et tu, Toadus?

T said...

By the by...sent ADG this link as well, but I guess he doesn't have tiny feet:
https://bassshoes.harborghb.com/catalog/product-listing.cfm/collection/Mark-Mcnairy

dovecote Decor said...

Well, hello Toad. I am back for a visit. I like the blue Todd's driving shoe better, but understand the nostalgia for Weejuns. I'm so ancient, we used to carry dimes in them to use pay phones. I had a girl friend who cherished hers so much, she polished them everyday. I get it.
Best,
Liz

Toad said...

ADG: not kilim, but maybe tweed?:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOP-QUALITY-TWEED-SLIPPER-HAND-MADE-ENGLAND-/200666038319?pt=UK_Men_s_Shoes&var=&hash=item746c344ae5#ht_957wt_1139.

The Slipper book release is Monday, so you may have it by the end of the week

Scale Worm said...

Hey Toad, I love the look: GTH Shoes! (Who'd a thought, via ADG?)...
I like my ox-bloods and blacks and yes (ADG don't shoot McNasty glares at me) my beef roll ox-blood weejuns... I barely get to read you-all's posts these days as I have been STILL working on our replace the dishwasher at the end of August $45,000 later rebuild/remodel... that said, blue-kick-ass-or-not I am SO stickin' to the shoes I have...
I hope you are well!

Summer is a Verb said...

Et tu Toad??? Hahahaaa...Whoda thunk ole Max was the pied piper of shoe stripping. Jeesh, best not share this post with Babe lest he decide to take his new blue 'juns and follow you two crazies off the cliff :)

Anonymous said...

" 'Joan Collins in Dynasty gone Goth blue.' Brilliant."

Two geniuses at work. Me, clueless. And I don't even know where to go to look this the heck up. Those two need to post a glossary for the uncool reader.

-Flo

Toad said...

May GTH Shoes live forever. Congrats Scale Worm.