Wednesday, November 23, 2011

The Gentleman's Slipper


Advised some time back that Fiona Dreesmann, the founder of My Slippers, a London based purveyor of luxury, bespoke slippers for women and men was publishing, The Gentleman's Slipper, I immediately got in touch.

Fiona was a treat to deal with, as we passed many emails, most of them confirming/correcting errors on my part. Such persistent pursuit of quality has become almost an anachronism, but fortunately no one told Fiona. Released by the printers Monday week, my copy awaited me when we arrived home.

After becoming reacquainted with our zoo, emptying car and suitcases, I lit a fire, donned my ceremonial beach slippers and tore into Fiona's tome.


First, it's beautiful eye candy. Photos from the greatest works of the world's greatest makers of bespoke slippers. Many photos of contemporary slipper collectors and their collections, along with a few sartorial heroes of an earlier era, along with details of the manufacturing processes, and personal stories of noted slipper aficionados.


I adore clever people, especially those with the time and talent to convert their whimsy into totems of personal style. The many examples of expert needlepoint slippers made by and for loved ones adorn these pages. Makes me want to learn needlepoint just to do something beautiful for the ages while I pass through my dotage.



Help for Heroes is a UK charity helping servicemen wounded in Afghanistan and the Middle East.

The Gentleman's Slipper is a treat, just in time for holiday gifting, and helps a worthy cause as well. Copies may be ordered here. Tell Fiona I said hello.

Toad
(all photos from The Gentleman's Slipper)

6 comments:

Shelley said...

I seem to remember that Lord Lygon did needlework and knitting and in the old days much of that sort of work was done by men. Whenever we've visited Dentdale, Bill always likes to harp on about 'the terrible knitters of Dent'

http://www.dentvillageheritagecentre.com/TerribleKnitters.htm

Anonymous said...

As the proud owner of nine pairs of well-worn Stubbs & Woottons, I immediately ordered the book. They are amazingly comfortable shoes and as someone who dresses conservatively (or "drably," as my daughter says), they really punch up an outfit. Thanks for the heads up, Toad.

Anonymous said...

Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

Happy Thanksgiving Mr Toad.

Toad said...

for more read here:

http://maxminimus.blogspot.com/2011/11/toad-slippers.html

oldpolo said...

Happy Thanksgivin to you and yours Mr. Toad. I trust that the Bentley Coninental R is sequestered safely in the barn after your trip to Colorado. Ya know, Rudi Ulenhalt drove in a Mercedes C-111 from Stuttgart Interterkheim, to his place in Austria, with skis strapped to the top, at around 180 MPH. You could get serious traffic violations crossing Colorado at that velocity. Ask me, I have a story or two. It is REALLY expensive.

Nic Hill said...

Happy Thanksgivin to you and yours Mr. Toad. I trust that the Bentley Coninental R is sequestered safely in the barn after your trip to Colorado. Ya know, Rudi Ulenhalt drove in a Mercedes C-111 from Stuttgart Interterkheim, to his place in Austria, with skis strapped to the top, at around 180 MPH. You could get serious traffic violations crossing Colorado at that velocity. Ask me, I have a story or two. It is REALLY expensive.