Saturday, October 15, 2011

my gym shoes


One of my must stops each day is to A Bit of Bubbly. Yesterday's post told the tale of a love/hate affair with Vibram running shoes, mayhaps you have tried them yourself. Supposedly the benefit of these sleek Italian numbers is that they mimic running barefoot.

I've never liked running shoes. Nike, Saucony, Adidas aren't for me, nor is barefooting through my daily regime. I prefer my lifelong friends, Converse All-Stars and Jack Purcell's, even for the gym.

I learned from Bubbly that "Barefoot runners land on the forefoot and then put their heel to the ground. A running shoe wearer will land directly on the heel, helped by the elevation and cushioning of the shoe. Apparently there is less impact if you land on the forefoot, which is the basic premise behind the Vibram five-finger shoe." Lack of cushioning may explain why my feet don't feel contorted into an unnatural posture, in my Converse as they do in running shoes.

Which got me to thinking. If landing on your forefoot is better, how well do my cheap $39 gym shoes meet that objective?

Not too shabby. Maybe Santa will bring a new pair.

Toad

11 comments:

Shelley said...

So, were you to take up running, you would be a sprinter, rather than an endurance runner...

Toad said...

I'm a medium speed(4-5 mph)treadmill walker, at high elevation. 5K per day 5 days per week 1200 calories/day, is good enough for me.

T said...

Hate hate hate those Vibrams. I taught climbing technique at a rock gym in Alexandria part-time, and we started seeing people trickle in wearing those damn things...to climb in. Damn things are a broken toe waiting to happen.

That and they're ugly as hell. Let's just throw that out there.

Walter Tully said...

Embarrassingly, my gym shoes are as old as my son, haha. But it's comfortable, and it still looks nice so I can't get rid of it. The smell is a bit unpleasant from constant use, though, LOL.

Kate said...

Fantastic blog you have, enjoyed reading the post.

kaney said...

I was watching 'The 700 Club' television program on Nov 5, 2008 when I heard Pat Robertson mention how much he likes the Total Gym, which is the exercise equipment that Chuck Norris advertises. I am 49 years old and have been an exercise enthusiast for the majority of my life. I have also owned and heavily used the Total Gym XLS for 7 months. In this article I will provide a review of the Total Gym XLS in 9 areas. Each point will be rated on a 1-10 scale with 1 being low and 10 being high.

Metagenics Kaprex

simon said...

Tampa is a densely populated state and witnesses more than its fair share of personal injury lawsuits. An injury caused to a person due to carelessness of another person or individual, is known as a personal injury. tampa injury attorney

pregnancy after miscarriage said...

It is sometimes hard to find gym shoes, especially if you have big or tiny feet. This article will give you suggestions and information that you can use to avoid these issues.

pregnancy after miscarriage

yanmaneee said...

balenciaga sneakers
air max 270
curry 4
vapormax
supreme outlet
golden goose slide
yeezy 500
moncler
nike air max
nike epic react flyknit

dateceth said...

click replica bags you can find out more Ysl replica my explanation designer replica luggage

shysme said...

my blog navigate to this website browse around this web-site click here for more info look at these guys check here