Friday, September 4, 2009

The Doctor's Challenge

Thursday was strange at The Park.

We went to bed late. As I was about to turn out the lights, I noticed a bat flying around our ceiling fan. Visions of Mrs. Blandings and her battle of the bats in the attic. Flying bats in the bellfry are harder to ignore than mice. Trust me on this one.

Fortunately, it wanted gone as much as I wanted it gone, and after opening a few windows and doors it escaped fairly quickly.

A restless nights sleep ensued, and at 9 I was cooling my heels in the waiting room of my long time GP. Time for my semi-annual chastising.

I am fairly healthy for a fat man. Blood pressure 100 over 70. Total Cholesterol 140. All the tests were quite fine thank you.

When I go to the sawbones, I expect to hear 3 things. Lose some weight, lay off the cigars, get some exercise. I've been hearing 2 of those for 20 years or more. Sound advice I'm sure, but we both know he's chirping to the wall.

So after having his way with me, he stands me to a challenge. At face it's so simple, I can't wait to see how it turns out. Here is what he said.

Make an appointment for 6 months out. In the mean time lose 1 ounce per day. If you do it, next year is on me. If not pay double.

One ounce per day? Sounds easy, put like that, doesn't it?

I'll let you know just how easy it is.

Toad

7 comments:

Mrs. Blandings said...

If you can get a bat out of your bedroom with that little drama an ounce a day will be easy.

Turling said...

You do realize that's 11 pounds? I'm an accountant, I had to do it.

I do wish you luck.

preppyplayer said...

I guess I shouldn't complain about the mealy moths...

11 lbs over a year? I think you can do it.

Toad said...

6 months PP. I have no doubt. It's the keeping it off.

ADG said...

Toad....your lipids and blood pressure are so freakin' good man! That's great.

I'd only do the 11 pound thing if it ain't gonna cause you any pain.

Gail, in northern California said...

I have lost and gained the same 10 lbs. for years.

Even people who have lost a lot of weight struggle with that damn last 10 lbs.

I don't know a woman alive who wouldn't give her eye teeth to get rid of it--FOR GOOD.

Now that I've yammered on about myself, good luck Toad. Pat yourself on the back with those readings.

Kathleen said...

Do scales measure by the ounce? You can do it.