Friday, January 8, 2010

It's really not too much to ask, really


All my life I have had magnificently bad cars. Most were by choice, some were mistakes which should have been foreseen, sometimes I just fall in love. As often as not, I fall in love with something I would like to see in the garage, rather than truly own, or be dependant upon.

I have wanted a Range Rover Classic since about the day after I first saw one. I can't imagine a more useless piece of rolling toxic waste, but my heart just skips a beats every time I see one. My little friend on my shoulder says it won't hurt that often. I know better.



Since giving up my car to Number 2 son this summer we have been a one car family if I don't count the Bentley. It really hasn't been inconvenient having one car, just limiting.

So with the big storm approaching I thought I'd approach my bride with logic. We'll be stuck in the woods forever, without one, I suggested. The neighbor plows the drive, was her retort.

The car is near free, the on going expense no greater than a severe gambling addiction. Still she says no.

Toad

16 comments:

James said...

I suffer from the same problem. A series of cars that I shouldn't have, but did. I never listened to my wife, and she was almost always right. You should listen to Mrs. T , but I sorta hope you don't!

Brian said...

Toad I know this pain all too much. I've been trying to convince the Mrs. for years now that we need a Rover, but she just says no. I'm almost tempted to do like my buddy Rob did and just go work for them. Hope you eventually get your way!

ADG said...

Vega Cosworth. Teehee.

Mrs. Blandings said...

I should be on her side, but didn't you just get her a puppy? Dollar for dollar is should even out to about the same.

Toad said...

Mrs. B: her kids got the puppy, but you are right about the cost.

JMW said...

I love Range Rovers. Great vehicles. Although, I'm now in love with my Audi wagon, so I'm pretty content with my car for the time being. :)

David said...

I've been driving all over in my LR3, parking in drifts, navigating deeply rutted ice, and have yet to have a problem. When I snapped off the wiper blade the electric windshield kept things unfrozen. Couldn't be more in love with that car.

Mrs. T, I implore you...

Patsy said...

My husband has the poor man's version - the land rover - I would love an old RR, but he says no. His cousin has a really old one - he sanded the name on the hood to say RAN OVER.

tintarosa said...

She is a wise woman! I had a rover that spent more time in the shop than on the road. I sold the thing and swore, never again. Yet everytime I see one, I wish it were mine. It's a sickness.

Scott said...

The love of English motor vehicles can be an affliction. But not a bad thing if you know what you're getting into. I had a RR "Classic" once. Its most annoying trait was that it leaked. I mean water in, not fluids out. But it did that, too. I wouldn't mind having one again, as an auxilary vehicle. But I still have my 1970 Land Rover for that. And my teenager is still driving a Discovery with 180K+. I vote buy it.

Scott

Toad said...

I'd probably have a better shot at this if it wasn't 0 F outside, and we could go look at it.

preppyplayer said...

I vote Range rover and I am on line right behind you...

Cara said...

My vote is get it. I have pined over each old Range Rover that passed me on the streets and I finally just bought a 95 classic in British Racing Green and I am in love. Sure it has its little quirks but they just add to its character and personality. And personality, my friend, goes a long way.

Karena said...

Oh Toad I am so sorry. My two husbands always loved trading and buying new cars. It may be a male thing. I certainly put up with this as long as I received something in return!!

Summer is a Verb said...

My vote is a resounding GETIT!!! XXOO

old polo said...

I note that is posting was way back in January, but since I just found it I'm giving you my two cents...I have a 1965 series lla station wagon that I drive and am restoring. It is great. I also have a 1960 "bugeye" Austin Healey Sprite that I have restored. Both fun and believe me, you can't be overlooked in either.