Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Second chances


I've been shopping for fall in my closets, trying to decide what to alter, what to donate and what to save for a colder day. Heading the list of that which requires altering is a windowpane sport coat I created three falls ago.

I wore it frequently its first year. It was my go to that winter. By spring we had fallen out of like.


I'm sure it was me, the jacket was entirely blameless, yet I wore it infrequently the next year and never touched it last fall.

Once I slipped it on again I remembered why I put it away. Writes Dickens in Great Expectations, "Probably every new and eagerly expected garment ever put on since clothes came in falls a trifle short of the wearer's expectations." This fell woefully short, with only myself to kick for not returning after several wearings to correct its faults, which is a shame since I really do like it.

I'm trusting the alchemist will begin again. At the time of its birth I was older and heavier than now. I needed a security blanket more than a tailored jacket. Now I have 2 pages of notes of what needs doing, besides altering to fit.

As it sits I can accommodate 3 at a time. Soon I hope just me.

Toad

3 comments:

Patsy said...

It's a gorgeous material. I hope the two of you are going steady again soon!

Anonymous said...

I also have white hair and stay away from light brown near the face.

Anonymous said...

"At the time of its birth I was older..than now."

Literature.

-Flo