Saturday, October 16, 2010

Too Much of a Good Thing?

Once upon a time, I wrote about that most unsung of American tailoring heroes, Mr.Sidney Winston. Mr. Winston, when he wasn't working on JFK's new suit, was the creative genius behind such American classics as the 4 panel pants, embroidered cords, and perhaps most famously, the patch madras jacket.



As my mother would periodically exclaim, especially near election time, "if a million people have a bad idea, it is still a bad idea." Sometimes though, even good ideas go bad. Rarely do they turn rancid all at once. Bad ideas need time to fester.

The jacket below, from Huntsman, just might fall into the good idea going bad category. It's good enough to be entertaining, but...



Patch Tweed. I doubt many British clients will sign up for this number, it feels too American.

Lest you be confused, I like patch tweed, in moderation. Last fall, Ellie Stager created a PT scarf for me, which I will wear until I die, if I can get it away from my bride.


To get to the good idea going rancid, we need to turn to the latest Orvis catalog. I have a love/hate relationship with Orvis. I like the idea of many of their clothes, it's the execution which leaves me cold. I want their stuff to work,especially their tartan trousers, yet it rarely does on me.

From their catalog I present the patch tartan jacket. Another idea which should work. Has a the right bells and whistles, is priced fairly, yet falls flat.



A man needs to limit himself to one variety of patch. To patch in all seasons is trying too hard. I'm sticking with the summer mad, thank you very much.

Toad

10 comments:

NCJack said...

Know what you mean. In college I was about to buy a truly beautiful yellow (daffodil yellow) wool sportcoat, fit perfectly OTR, great fabric, and the GF said "After the first wearing, you'll be known as the guy in the bright yellow coat". Settled for camel hair, but damn that was a good lookin' garment. She was right, though, some things can only be worn once.

Suburban Princess said...

Wise choice - of course anyone who is going to wear true tartan knows you dont wear more than one clan at a time!

Shelley said...

I love the small patch styles, but that last jacket just looks silly to me.

Dovecote Decor said...

Everyone needs at least one tongue in cheek, go to hell outfit!
Best,
Liz

Anonymous said...

While you're on the topic of plaids and jackets, kindly suffer an off-topic reader query. Help me understand the double back vent, I don't like it/them and I never have, but I want to understand why one wasn't enough; moreover, the double vent does not do a man/woman's arse a favor at all. Here's a jacket to love, except for the double back vent. If this had come in a 36, I'd have had it for myself in a minute, except for the double back vent. Am I just an old phool? http://www.jpeterman.com/Windowpane-Plaid-Blazer

Richard said...

I would wear that Huntsman jacket in a heartbeat, but I don't see myself going to their establishment to have one made up.

Toad said...

Flo, the double vent is a holdover from a riding jacket. Riding length tend to be longer than a modern sport coat, the the vent would lay over the back of an English saddle.

Several reasons to like double vents, which I am a special fan are, when you put your hand in a pocket, whether buttoned or not, the the whole jacket doesn't come with you, and as seen from the side or rear, side vents add the illusion of height.

If you prefer a center vent, the Peterman jacket can easily be converted by a competent tailor.

Old phools are especially treasured around here, although I cannot yet speak to your particular attributes.

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh, it lays over the back of a saddle, makes perfect sense!

preppyplayer said...

That jacket qualifies as a conversation piece/"go to hell" jacket, perfect for that once a year wearing to the annual office Christmas party!

Easy and Elegant Life said...

Perhaps a patch tweed walking hat. More may be gilding the lily.