Friday, October 22, 2010

My Winter Cap

As the weather turns, those of us a little thin on top reach for a hat of some sort to keep the little gray cells functioning. For as long as I can remember I've been a hat guy. There is some kind of easily folded chapeau deep in a pocket in each of my fall and winter jackets. My tastes are wide ranging, as I keep deer stalkers, Irish fishing caps, tams, and wool stocking caps within easy reach.

Last fall, I fell in love with this Balmoral, but felt that by the time I found who made it, ordered it, and had it shipped, the season would be over before I had a chance to enjoy it. So I waited.



The gods shined on me last week, and I got off my mcduff and finally ordered my own copy from the most helpful and attentive staff of Robert Mackie of Scotland. It arrived today, a full 5 days after ordering. I asked Mrs. T to wrap it up for Christmas.



I had a little trouble with the clan badge. I am not Scottish, and do not belong to a clan, save for an invitation from my daughter's father in law admitting me to theirs, which is tenuous at best. Many clan badges also signify a military or at least a warrior standard, and I'll not wear military decorations other those which I have been awarded, so the clan badge was out.

Choice 2 was to use a county badge of the old sod, a viable alternative but one that felt wrong for many of the same reasons.

Finally, I chose a badge I am entitled to wear. That of an US Air Force enlisted person.

Soon enough it will turn cold, I'll have my Scotch bonnet, mayhaps a little whisky flask and warm gray cells.

Toad

9 comments:

James said...

Great choice on the hat badge. Like you I enjoy hats, for warm as well as character!

The Blushing Hostess said...

Cannot wait for the photo, Toad. Please forward asap.

Silk Regimental said...

Very cool cap! I'm ex Air Force enlisted as well. I find Southern Comfort in a flask works well to fight off chill.

Suburban Princess said...

Awww I wish you had taken a photo first so we could see it on! I am glad you got the hat you wanted :O)

PS...the old sod is actually Ireland.

Suburban Princess said...

OH!!! And I have a jar of something here for you :O) Will mail it next week :O)

Toad said...

SP thank you, 3 of my 4 grandparents were from County Cork, each emigrating in the 19 teens.

JMW said...

Ooo, you HAVE to post a pic at some point!

Shelley said...

Add my vote for a photo - and where would one get a whisky flask. I'm thinking this should be on my Christmas shopping list...

Toad said...

Shelley, I expected better. You of all should know where to find a flask, but I'll include photo and shopping details on the morrow.