Tuesday, October 5, 2010

stone throwers

In 1949 architect Phillip Johnson completed work on what became known as "The Glass House" in New Canaan Connecticut. His professional rival, Ludwig Mies van der Rohe completed work on his glass house, the Farnsworth House in Chicago suburb Plano, Illinois in 1951. They are each modern masterpieces of domestic architecture.

The Glass House


Today, each house is owned by the National Trust for Historic Preservation and open to the public.

To raise the funds necessary for their upkeep the Trust has commissioned a film by artist Sarah Morris detailing the history, lore, and necessary upkeep requirements of the two properties. Her film debuts tomorrow in NYC. Most probably Ms. Morris's film will show up online in the not too distant future.

A companion book, published by Assouline is also available.



The Farnsworth House

If given an opportunity to move into one, I have a clear favorite. I love the simplicity of The Glass House. I wouldn't even have to move to Connecticut. I have a perfect site here.


The National Trust has created a video series, Modern Views, which addresses some of the Trusts issues. Below is a, "which house would you choose" video, with clips by distinguished architect and critics.

Modern Views from Drew Harty on Vimeo.

If you are available, info for tomorrows festivities may be found here.

Toad


5 comments:

davidsl said...

i agree with you. i think mr. johnson's glass house would be an ideal modern pavilion for myself.

Anonymous said...

Hmm... I must disagree on a personal level here, I would much rather dwell in the Farnsworth residence. I enjoy the open ended structure, and I think I would feel too caged in by Johnson's example.

Mistress Cynica said...

I, too, prefer the Johnson house. It would be like living outdoors, but without the bug problems.

Giuseppe said...

Professional rival!?!/

Jonson was van der Rohe's lap dog.

(sorry, former architecture student ranting)

Giuseppe said...

As a qualifier:

having lived my whold life in New England, I find the concept of a house withou a basement thoroughly inconceivable.