Thursday, October 28, 2010

This year's fall project

Many may recall that every fall, usually around the beginning of December I begin a fairly large house project. Last year it was installing wainscot up the stairway and around the upstairs hallway.


The year before crown moulding.


The year before that our kitchen remodel. This year I was sitting fat and happy with no plans to tear the house apart as cold weather neared.

We live in a 2 story house with a first floor master. Mrs. T or I only go upstairs once a month to run the water to make certain the drain traps are filled, unless we have house guests. Several weeks ago, missing my toys books and photos, I commandeered an upstairs bedroom as my office.

Finally, spending time upstairs I began to notice things. Like the taps that dripped, and the toilet that never shut off, how ugly the fixtures were, and how rusty the plumbing. Knowing our buddy, Mr. Fixit Chuck was sitting on his hands I roped him into my project. Time to address unscheduled maintenance, office fix its, and paint redos.

Remember our Pool House resto?
The same hand that picked the fixtures there selected those in the upstairs baths. Those in the know could date our bathroom fixtures down to the month. Only I would add 10 plus years past the date of popularity to get a fix on our installation.

When were gold fixtures last au courant? Same time as harvest gold fridges? Say, 1972?

Gold speckled sinks to match the gold faucets!


Now white marble and shiny chrome.


The unworkable upstairs master shower now in impeccable order.

All that remains is to replace 4 of the ugliest light fixtures and medicine cabinets ever installed, touch up paint, repaint the crown moulding of 2 years ago, and reprogram the garage door.



If I'm not in a candy induced sugar coma this weekend, and Lowes Depot isn't on strike, I hope to be completed by Monday. David, want the Ferguson?

Toad

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Truly sickening to know that some people are still swimming in money.

Shelley said...

Interesting that you put in crown molding, Do you have high ceilings or does it still work with standard 8' height? I ask, because the SLC house is a 1960s box and I will miss my 1920 house here in England. I'm thinking about how to either transform it or dress it up...

house things said...

Amazing amount of work you accomplished. Congratulations! Picking out a new bathroom light fixture will be easy. Lots of good choices out there.

Suburban Princess said...

Jealous much Anonymous?


The last time I saw those 1970's vanities they all came complete with at least one cigarette burn!

We hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Kathy said...

I have home-improvement envy. Congratulations!

James said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
James said...

Is that true Toad, you swim in your money? Personally I just throw mine on the floor and roll in it.
Good luck with your projects.

Anonymous said...

Apparently princesses don't know the difference between "jealous" and "envious".

Free Kansas said...

You should set up a loo in the woods for all the deer and turkey's. They would probably appreciate the opportunity to sit and think for a while.

Toad said...

Shelly: we have standard 8 foot ceilings throughout most of the house and have used both 1 and 3 piece moulding.

James: I have never tried rolling in it. Generally, I have to pluck it off one of the money trees in the back garden.

Free: that would certainly answer the age old question of do deer !@#$ in the woods wouldn't it?

David said...

Toad, you need to come whip us into shape at Chez Malaise, our projects drag on for months.

Shelly, I have 8 foot ceilings too and put in six inch crown, I think it looks great.

Town and Country House said...

Can't wait to see the "afters!"

SouthernProletariat said...

I am very impressed! We renovated two homes, and are currently living in/slowly remodeling the third, so I understand the magnitude of what you have undertaken...

Although I must admit that how reprogramming the garage door and plumbing is related is lost on me.. ;)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.