Friday, February 12, 2010

Sir George Sitwell



British poet and author, Edith Sitwell was certainly no stranger to the odd, as demonstrated in her book, English Eccentrics. Her father was one of the greatest.

Sir George Sitwell, son of Sir Sitwell Sitwell, was a noted amateur landscape gardener with a fondness for shooting wasps. In fact he invented a pistol for just such purposes. He wasn't much of a shot, but seemingly enjoyed it immensely.

My favorite tale of Sir George relates to a sign he had posted at the front gate of his home, Renishaw Hall in Derbyshire.


In its entirety the sign read:



I believe I would forgive a man anything who had the good sense to post this notice at his front door.

Toad

“A great many people now reading and writing would be better employed keeping rabbits.” Edith Sitwell

8 comments:

Shelley said...

You know, I often think how miraculous it is that Britain hasn't enjoyed a revolution along the lines of the French or Russian. There was that little misunderstanding back in the 1600's but they changed their minds again, didn't they?

Living the life in The Little City said...

Where do you find such things? The sign is hilarious.

LPC said...

Hahahahahahahaha. I can't believe he wrote the words gastric juices.

Toad said...

Kathleen, it's a gift, and a burden.

ADG said...

Toad-you need to read the diaries of James Lees Milne. Have I led you wrong before?

Toad said...

Let me count the ways mon ami.

Actually I am working on them no thanks to the Elegantologist.

Liz said...

Thank you, as always, for thinking of me.
Incidentally, this made me think of you:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hulk4598/4290440132/in/set-72157619591641073/

Toad said...

Liz: I love the picture thank you.