Saturday, April 18, 2009

Strickly a NY thing?

I finally got around to tackling last weekend's NYT yesterday. My routine is to begin with the Style section, head to Business, the Book Review and Magazine then let whatever catches my fancy take over.

My real favorite part is the Vows, at the back of Style.

Last weekend's featured couple were in their mid 40's. He was a nerd who had never married and had never had a lasting relationship. She had just left a 23 year relationship when she met the groom to be.

So they dated a year, he asked, she accepted, they tied the knot.

He likes his man cave of an apartment, she likes her pepto bismol pink apartment with her cats and parrots. What's a newly married couple to do in such circumstances?

You got it. THEY WILL MAINTAIN THEIR SEPARATE RESIDENCES AND GET TOGETHER FOR WEEKENDS!!!!! I asked, Mrs. T said no.

Can you imagine? Is there anywhere on the planet other than NY City where a guy could successfully pull this off? How would the conversation begin? Is this a marriage?

Toad

2 comments:

Mrs. Blandings said...

I kinda like the set up I have now, though I have always said I would never marry again if the opportunity unfortunately arises. I have a friend in a similar situation, though I don't think they are considering marriage. They have condos in the same building. Perfect.

Legallyblondemel said...

I speed directly to the Banns section as well!

I have actually known non-NYC people who did the separate residences thing. It worked for a number of years until they ultimately decided to join residences. This would not be my preferred arrangement, as independent as I fancy myself, but it was perfect for them.