Friday, April 17, 2009

Stardust

Like almost all I have come into contact with this week, I've been sick.

Professional quality head cold. OK, so maybe I'm dramatising, but mega doses of anti-histamines and cough syrup have been required to get me out of bed, robed, into my chair, and ready to attack the stack of books at my side. Twenty minutes later I'm asleep, not remembering a thing I've read.

So I wake up from a restless sleep and I have a snippet of a song rolling around my head. I know I like the song, but I can't place it. I can come up with a lyric or two, but nothing rings a bell. This goes on all day Wednesday and Thursday. Finally, something comes to me. No, that's not it. Maybe it's Cole Porter, nope. Gershwin? Nada. I'm losing it.

There used to be a record shop on South Street in Philly, where I could go, or phone and hum something to the clerk, and immediately he would point me to it. The guy was so good, he became the inspiration for a Married With Children episode.

Finally, it comes to me. Its Hoagy Carmichael, also on the Sleepless in Seattle soundtrack.

Allow me to share the object of my musing. Here's Natalie's dad for your enjoyment. Minimize the screen, turn up the volume, get ready to enjoy your weekend.

Thank you yes, I'm on the mend.



Toad

6 comments:

Martha said...

Nat King Cole and Hoagy Carmichael -- can't get much better than that!

Mrs. Blandings said...

I've had it, too. I think my husband is a little weary of asking if I'm better. No songs for me though. Too many people asking me for things to have any room in my brain for music and sickness.

Hope you feel better soon.

David said...

I feel your paint, had it here too, for the last week. Mucinex D is a miracle drug.

Get better T-

kathleen said...

I'm sorry to hear you aren't up to par, but that's a great song to have in your head. Feel better soon.

Pigtown-Design said...

You, too? 102 fever for two days and then strep throat. I agree with David... mucinex rocks. it takes every single bit of moisture out of your head.

Toad said...

Mucinex it is from now on.

David, pleased to have you keep your paws out my paint. You may stir up the dust that collecting on the walls.

Thank yoiu all. I'd feel better if I didn't feel so darn weak.