Friday, April 24, 2009

Is O now run by men?

Is O run by men now?


I admit to being sappy at times. Pride and Prejudice is one of my favorite books. I find the Keira Knightley P&P movie hauntingly beautiful. I'm misty eyed throughout the last 20 minutes. Every time.

I want to be Donald Sutherland, I want to be Mr. Darcy.

Mercifully, the movie is on television almost constantly. You can choose either the 2 hours too long TNT version or the Oprah version.

Last night I got sucked into the O version. I hadn't caught this travesty before.

10 minutes or so to go. I'm tearing up. Darcy meets Elizabeth to ask for her hand one more time, the music swells "if your feelings have changed..."

Commercial

After commercial: In dad's study.....

WT? The best part of the movie is gone. Where did it go? Is my memory that bad. Have I (O)forgotten the rest of Darcy's speech? Lizzy's reply?

Thank you Oppie. Who knew you needed the money so badly?

Toad

5 comments:

Gladys said...

I hate that! I was so excited it was on. I grabbed my tea and my remote and grabbed my snuggie. Then was appalled at the bad butchering.

Rebecca Woodhead said...

This is a terrible development. I haven't seen this version of P+P yet but I'm sure it's fabulous.

The novel is too important to the development of modern literature in general and women's literature in particular to chop it about willy-nilly. Bad Oprah. No chocolates for you. Go to your room and think about what you did!

Toad said...

Rebecca what do you mean you have never seen it?????? Check your library, see if you can download it. Someone you know has it. Go to their house and agree to babysit their kids and watch it while they go out. Run. Now.

Toad said...

Will someone please send Rebecca a PAL format copy of the 2005 Keira Knightly version of P&P? This travesty has gone on too far.

Renovation Therapy said...

I've never seen that version. I am too in love with the BBC/Colin Firth version. Watching it would be akin to adultery.

[Yes, I'm being silly]