Saturday, March 2, 2013

Tom Wolfe's birthday


Thinking about spring clothing leads me to thinking about white linen suits, which leads on towards the Alec Guinness classic movie The Man In The White Suit, which then not to subtly leads me to explore writers famous for their White Suits and eventually skip over the Twain and ends staring at the bookshelves wondering which Tom Wolfe novel to reread.  


If Mr. Wolfe had woken up one morning in 1971, decided it had all been said and closed up shop I would have been devoted to him the rest of my life simply for his writing The Radical Chic and Mau Mauing the Flak Catchers.  Some of his other works have come and gone, all captured their time and place spot on, some were better than others, but The Radical Chic helped to make a reader out of me, and for that I'm grateful.


Happy Birthday Tom, may you celebrate many more.

Toad




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Radical Chic, huh -- you continue to educate me, Sir. Notes from under the ground: not a white garment to his name aside from what seemed like bulletproof white oxford cloth BB shirts, HB to my Dad who'd be turning 105 today.

-F

Toad said...

Happy Birthday to another fine Southern gentleman. With thanks from a grateful nation for his service.

Anonymous said...

golden goose
golden goose outlet storet
golden goose outlet
goyard bag
fear of god