Saturday, September 29, 2012

Madness


The three prints are printer's proofs of  lithographs which first appeared in the old British magazine Vanity Fair which have been collecting dust for several years that I finally decided to have framed.  Having three identically sized VF prints of not very interesting subjects hanging on my office wall,  my plan was to reuse the old frames, only having the prints rematted.



Believing I was onto a fairly simple task I gathered my cache, printed a coupon and headed to the nearby Michaels.  After spending an hour with the department manager I discovered several things.

Shopping at Michaels without a coupon isn't done. It's like paying full retail at Bed Bath and Beyond. Only males do it.

Due to Michaels convoluted pricing and discount structure it cost $1 more per print to have them reframed with new glass and mats than to have new mats only.

I'm feeling ill used, and promise to hone my exacto knifing on mat board before my next  rematting adventure.

Toad




7 comments:

NCJack said...

Oh, Yeah! Here in Charlotte, Michael's is one of the stalwarts of the Sunday paper coupon batch. They're like the Jos. A. Bank of the crafters.

Anonymous said...

Framing. Another marketplace racket that infuriates me too, sir. I may take my 40% one-purchase-only coupon in there, and put it toward a matcutter next time.

-Flo

David said...

I wish we were closer, I have a mat cutter and I know how to use it.

Toad said...

I love the Jos Banks comparison, so apt. Mat cutting seems a learnable skill, even for me.

LPC said...

Oh well. It looks good:).

Dumbwit Tellher said...

And how much do they inflate to make up for that incessant coupon scheme I always ask myself. I feel bad for someone like my father (81) who repeatedly goes there to get his framing done & thinks he's scoring big time. No matter what I love your choice of pictures to frame. They are very smart Toad!

Toad said...

Thank you, now if I could only get over that sense of having been screwed.