Thursday, January 19, 2012

Poe Day, Pooh Day, and Pooh Bear

Are you familiar with the poetry of Edgar Allen Poe? On this his birthday I present his most autobiographical poem, Alone.

"Alone"

From childhood's hour I have not been
As others were--I have not seen
As others saw--I could not bring
My passions from a common spring--
From the same source I have not taken
My sorrow--I could not awaken
My heart to joy at the same tone--
And all I lov'd--I lov'd alone--
Then--in my childhood--in the dawn
Of a most stormy life--was drawn
From ev'ry depth of good and ill
The mystery which binds me still--
From the torrent, or the fountain--
From the red cliff of the mountain--
From the sun that 'round me roll'd
In its autumn tint of gold--
From the lightning in the sky
As it pass'd me flying by--
From the thunder, and the storm--
And the cloud that took the form
(When the rest of Heaven was blue)
Of a demon in my view--

-Edgar Allen Poe

II. As long as I'm mixing my metaphors, I'm a day late honoring the birth of AA Milne, creator of Edward Bear-Winnie the Pooh to you. Yesterday would have been his 130th.

Christopher Milne and Edward


III.
Still mixing metaphors, and 3 days late I failed to honor my constant companion and sweetheart, our oldest Shih Tsu, Pooh Bear. A year ago Monday she came to live with us.

As companions go, I could do much worse than have a Pooh Bear.

Toad

4 comments:

Lou said...

I like the last Pooh Bear best.... she looks so cute.

Pigtown*Design said...

Love Poe! And the Poe Toaster didn't show up again last night. End of a tradition.

Toad said...

Meg is that 3 in a row?

Tish said...

Your Pooh Bear looks so cuddly, love her. She could be Connor's girlfriend.