Friday, August 6, 2010

Mrs. T may be coming around


Men in white suits are a rare treat in Mayberry.

That doesn't stop me from owning several. My first is from the New Orleans bastion of high southern style Perlis. It's a screaming, first communion suit white, linen number. I feel like Boss Toad, moseying over to Galatoires for a leisurely late lunch, every time I don it.

The second is an only slightly toned down white linen number from Haspel.

When the Perlis suit arrived on our doorstep, after a trip to NOLA in spring '09, Mrs. T forcefully and verily swore she would always and everywhere make other plans if I showed up locally, ready to go, so dressed. She would forgive a lot of things but the white suit was a deal killer. Luckily, for the both of us, last summer never turned warm, and I hadn't an opportunity to see if she was bluffing. Mrs. T is a woman of her word.

Last week, hoping she had forgotten her threat, I rolled out the Haspel. It's not quite so white, and she didn't say a word. It helped that deep summer had arrived finally. Emboldened, I tried it out again this week, and received a number of compliments. Boss Toad is back.

I think she's coming around.

Toad

15 comments:

Blue said...

Magnificent. I have flirted for many years with buying a white linen suit, though in my case case cream might be better - skin tones and all that - but I must say you've awoken a deep vein of envy. I won't bother to call it aspiration, its good old-fashioned envy.

Anonymous said...

The White Suit Trilogy, all on one page, no hunting around required, thank you! GREAT story, GREAT suit, as my Mother would caution "...should you maybe get two?" Last wish: to see the shoes you're wearing in the "Mrs. T may be coming around" chapter. About a decade ago Peterman offered a handsome version of same for ladies, together with a many-buttoned vest. Scissored and glue stuck the drawing in my permanent file of perfect clothes. Best to Mrs T and to you....F

M.Lane said...

Just smashing! You are fortunate. Mrs. E has not ever come around re my straw boater.

ML
mlanesepic.blogspot.com

Suburban Princess said...

Spiffy!!!!
I think we need to change your name to Frog tho!

Anonymous said...

You're lookin' quite dapper in that suite. I like! - KT

CoastingThroughTheSouth said...

Perlis, actually sells Haspel suits, that they re-brand as their own. Why pray tell is it whiter then? Because they have all of the white linen suits they sell "dipped" at Liberto Cleaners here in NOLA. If you were take that Haspel one to Liberto, it would come back looking identical to the Perlis one

Patsy said...

oh Toad! So handsome, just perfect!

Toad said...

Thank you all. Perlis contends their house label white suits are Hardwick, not Haspel. I can tell the difference, in texture and color.

Main Line Sportsman said...

You look smashing...like you are ready to argue the Scopes Trail or beat some rubes at cards on a riverboat...or ride out across your plantation to check the cotton...well done.

CoastingThroughTheSouth said...

Well, I stand corrected. I did get the impression though when buying my seersucker suit from them, that the seersucker suit was a Haspel.

Toad said...

Ryan we may both be right on this one.

JMW said...

Look at you, Boss Toad! What a great suit - you would make any good Southern man green with envy in such duds.

ADG said...

Strong. Stronger than nine rows of Spring Onions.

Out Of A Bandbox said...

The look of a true gentleman. Very nice to see.

preppyplayer said...

Love it! And the hat in hand must complete it :)